Help! Cloudlifter makes my Shure SM7B worse?

"to my knowledge the CL-1 doesn't need to be recognized by any sort of DAW. "

Just a WAAAY out there idea..Freakin WIN 10? Is it possible that an update has caused the PC NOT to recognise a device that is not actually a USB data device and thus not supply it with power?

I do know that USB power IS in the gift of the OS because you can set it to stay on or off when you shut a PC down. Pretty sure all the OP's other tests rule this out but had to say it.

Dave.

The last Win 10 Creator's update to my system left one of my USB devices in an unrecognized condition. It's USB 2.0 (which had been working perfectly for several years) was reassigned a 3.0 ID and no connection was made. But at least I got a pop-up describing the difficulty. There's the off chance this could be the case.. without the pop-up. Re-installing the device corrected the problem.

I wonder if the Cloudlifter takes a bit more current than a condenser mic. USB power gives 5V at 500mA I think. That means it has to do some sort of voltage multiplier to get 48V, and as far as I know that means you trade away current for voltage. Not to mention you have to run the interface on that 500mA. Phantom power is supposed to provide up to 14 milliamps (if I recall correctly). Perhaps the interface can only provide a fraction of that which is enough for many condensers but not enough for the Cloudlifter.

A test on some other phantom power equipped mic preamp would be enlightening. It might be tricky to measure voltage or current while the Cloudlifter is connected.

"A test on some other phantom power equipped mic preamp would be enlightening. It might be tricky to measure voltage or current while the Cloudlifter is connected. "

Well, bloody tricky without a meter B! Actually only needs a bit of Law from Mr Ohm. Measure and note the open circuit, no load XLR voltage.

Now, dismantle the XLR at the AI end. DO NOT WORRY! Unless you have very girly wet hands you won't even FEEL it! Plug in the CL and measure pins 1-2, 1-3 as before.

The 48(sic) volts is dropped through 6k8 per leg so a bit of "shopping list" arithmetic tells you the current draw.

Dave.

Back