Help choosing a type of microphone and accessories for a newbie

LightBen

Hi everyone =)

I have one usage for microphone and I would like to know what to choose.
I have read about the basic and USB mics in wikipedia and the sticky very nice topic on this forum but still, I don't know what to do.

I am ready to put some money, but not too much.
I asked a professional and he recommended me to buy the Shure SM-58. I'm ready to pay for that, but afterwards I see we need to buy also a sound card interface and I can't pay for that also.

My needs:
I need to record people singing : No production, no album, nothing into business. I just go to their home and record them singing a song that I will export into flac and make myself a personal audio library of their songs. No instruments, just voice. I put my computer on the table, plug the mic, the guy sits and sings (means I need a mic we can put on the table).

I just need something good enough to record without white noise.

Do I really need a nice mic with an interface and all? Or a USB mic would be enough for that type of use?
Should I buy a pop filter?

Thanks a lot in advance =)

Edit: it's about prayers singing if people want to have more precisions

You can get away with a USB mic - what's your budget? The Blue Yeti would work for what you describe.

We can't compare prices unfortunately, I'm living in Israel, prices are higher here. I called a professional store and they said the same thing, that USB is good enough. He told me he got a mic in promotion for 500 shekel (ILS, something like 1 ILS = 4 USD dollars) so 120 USD I would say. I asked and he recommended me to buy a pop filter also. What do you say?

Thanks a lot for your answer =)

OK thank you guys. I finally decided to pay a bit and buy online the Blue Yeti. Cost 50 USD extra for taxes but what to do, I didn't find it here and anyway it would be more expensive than that. Thanks a ton for your answers =)

Blue Yeti would have been my suggestion as well.

However, I'd join the people saying you need a pop filter.

I'd also be ready with a floor stand for the mic. A lot of people sing far better standing than sitting. You can get basic cheap floor stands for under $20. (don't know about a Yeti mount).

Thanks for your answer. I'm considering it now. I will see if I can find a cheap stand. For now I will handle with boxes on the desk. Do I need a specific model or all stands can adjust to carry most of the microphones?

Back