Help choosing a Microphone!

BadBwai

Hey guys! So after A LOT of research I've finally narrowed down my choices for Microphones. I'd be happy to hear your opinions on these and their pros & cons. I will be using them for strictly vocals. (Pop, R&B, Hip-hop, Rap).

The following are from what I read & roughly the prices (US):

Rode NT1A ~230$ (Read it's a little harsh)
AKG 420 ~250$ (I've read many good things)
Shure SM7B ~350$ (Great but dynamic, needs high gain)
AT3035 ~150$ (I've read it's great for vocals)

So what would you guys recommend? The pricing isn't an issue, just want quality. I also still need a good Audio Interface (Around 200-300$), if you can pair one to any of the mics as a good combo, I'd be really happy.

Thank you so much for anyone who can help me, I really need this & I appreciate any help immensely!

Okay thank you SO much for those replies guys! One more thing, I added a AT4040 to my list.
I think I'm gonna go between the Rode NT1A or the AT4040.
So opinions on that would be highly appreciated. (Pros and cons)
Again, strictly vocals.

Thank you so much in advance!

I'm not a huge fan of AudioTechnica in general, but i've heard and worked with some great sounding tracks recorded with an AT4040. The NT1a can sound harsh in the high end but i've always found it seems to suit a wider range of voices reasonably well than some other LDC's which tend to be more picky. However, if you can find one, the older original NT1 is incredible and usually cheaper than a new NT1a (the matt grey one, not the shiny silver one).

The Shure SM7B microphone is the mic Michael Jackson used on one of the worlds most successful album of all time to date = Thriller...... I would say its a pretty safe bet to be fair and i wouldn't worry to much about the high gain, by the time you have heard it you wont be worrying about that :)

I'm not a huge fan of AudioTechnica in general, but i've heard and worked with some great sounding tracks recorded with an AT4040. The NT1a can sound harsh in the high end but i've always found it seems to suit a wider range of voices reasonably well than some other LDC's which tend to be more picky. However, if you can find one, the older original NT1 is incredible and usually cheaper than a new NT1a (the matt grey one, not the shiny silver one).

Thank you so much! I'm pulling towards the NT1A, I've heard some samples from it and it's really clean and crisp, but I will definitely look into the older one if it's cheaper and better.
By any chance, do you know of any good Audio Interface you'd recommend to go with that? USB is preferred since I don't have a FireWire port, but I'll get one installed if it's better than the USBs. Around, 300-400$?
Thank you, again. :D

@Above, thank you too! I've heard that too, but I like how the NTA1 has a crisper sound, but I know I can probably EQ the SM7B to sound better..hmm, choices! :$

If your room is untreated go with the dynamic.
You can generally work closer to a dynamic than a condenser without issues, and therefore reduce the ratio of voice to ambience.

I have used NT-1a twice, first time it was pretty okay, but with other singer it was just too harsh and thin sounding. My choice would be sm7b for shure ;)

Hmmm...

I always wonder if the "use a dynamic if your room is untreated" advice is a bit of a compromise sticking plaster. There are lots of cheap and easy ways to fake up some treatment (see a current threat about building PVC frames and movers' blankets for example) so I still think the choice should be on the sound and suitability of the mic. I use almost exclusively condenser mics in untreated rooms (but with my acoustic cheats) simply because I prefer the sound.

I know there are big SM7B fans here and if the OP like that sound, great. To me it's a bit muddy and over-warm--but that's the beauty of home recording. Everyone has different styles and tastes.

Anyhow, I'd rather do some cheap and simple acoustic fixes rather than lock myself into a dynamic simply to reduce room reverb.

Fair enough, Bobbsy. I can't really argue.

I think I get stuck in that mode where I expect the OP isn't prepared to/can't afford to/doesn't want to treat the room.
Sorry if I jumped the gun.

That said, I prefer the sm7b anyway. On that level it's just preference though.

I use some home made 4" rockwool panels for any vocal recording over here. If you think some treatment would help, that's a good way to go.
I know Bobbsy has shared some great ideas on the subject too!

I have used NT-1a twice, first time it was pretty okay, but with other singer it was just too harsh and thin sounding. My choice would be sm7b for shure ;)

Yeah that's what I'm thinking now too. So the SM7B would be much better in the long run I suppose, since I can EQ it more as it seems to be quite neutral. & Haha, I love what you did there! :D

@Above, thank you guys for your input! Everything helps in choosing.

If you guys can help me with one more thing, I also need a good Audio Interface, any recommendations to what would work well with these mics? (300-400$, u.s.)

Then without any doubt if it were I getting a one channel preamp for my SM7b with the budget that you have mentioned I would get the Golden Age Project Pre-73 MKII mic preamp.

Back