HELP! AT2035 - fine for 2 years but suddenly, terrible static and hiss

Andrew Keeble

Hey so I really hope someone can help.

Current set up - AT2035, Scarlett 2i2, iMac, Logic Pro X

I've had my AT2035 for 2 years for recording guitar now and it has run without a hitch. I love that mic to death.

But in the last few weeks, I have had a problem which is only getting worse. Terrible hiss/static. When I plug in the mic, 50% of the time I got this hiss that would abate if I left the mic standing for a few minutes.

But now, it just won't go away. If you listen to the attached sample you will hear that at first, the hiss is there but not terrible, and as soon as I talk into the mic it comes back with a vengeance, goes away again, and then comes back when I talk again.

View attachment at2035hisstest.mp3

It's driving me crazy. Can anyone think of what the problem could be? I've tried different USB inputs, different cables, resetting the focusrite, updating the drivers, moving the mic away from the computer completely, but nothing is working. HELP!

It's worth noting, my room is not treated, however I have had 2 years of perfect use with no hiss or static in this untreated room until now. I can't think of any factors that have changed other than the mic is somehow broken.

This ^^^, and check that the XLR plugs are clean on both the mic and cables (both ends), poor phantom will cause static problems as well. Can you also try a different mic lead?

Alan.

You might try drying out the mic. Moisture on the capsule might be the culprit. Is there a lot of dampness in the air where you are? If you can get some desiccant packs like one that are sometimes found packaged with some electronic gear, put them along with the mic in a ziplock plastic bag for a day or so. Dry rice bagged up in a tight meshed stocking can also absorb moisture. Use the rice the same way as desiccant packs in a ziplock bag. Placing the mic in a warm area (not hot and don't blow dry!!) may dry it as well. May not be the fix, but worth a try.

I think this may be it. I vape in my room with an e-cig, have been for the last 8 months, and I haven't been putting the mic away, it's been sitting out on my stand. The vapor will cause moisture in the air so I think that must be it.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try the drying out thing. Hopefully it'll work!

I think this may be it. I vape in my room with an e-cig, have been for the last 8 months, and I haven't been putting the mic away, it's been sitting out on my stand. The vapor will cause moisture in the air so I think that must be it.

If I were you I would keep the e-cig or any other cigarettes out of the studio. You should see what happened to my PA system when it was in house at a hotel back in the days when they had smoking in hotels.

Alan.

That brings to mind something funny. I have a friend with a lot of high end gear in his studio. He strictly forbids the smoking of cigarettes in his studio, but smokes weed there all day long.:D

Ah, the irony of stoner logic. Hahaha! :D

That brings to mind something funny. I have a friend with a lot of high end gear in his studio. He strictly forbids the smoking of cigarettes in his studio, but smokes weed there all day long.:D

Ah, the irony of stoner logic. Hahaha! :D

LOL! I have a similar friend. Not sure how he gets anything accomplished either...

Try putting a good old 100 watt incandescent bulb (if you still have one) about a foot over the mic for a day or so. If the problem is condensation on the diaphragm, that should fix it. Then put the mic in its pouch or box with a couple of silica packets to keep it dry. Don't leave mics on a mic stand in a room full of water vapor.

hey there, i've got the same problem in my condenser now, when switching from cardioid to omnidirectional. have you solved this problem? was it the moisture?

Back