Help.. Apex 460 or MXL 960 or MXL V69 Tube Mic..please help

muzicmaken

I have been reading for 3 days straight (and still reading)...And can not make up my mind as to which mic to buy.. Obviously I'm on a budget...

My current mics include:
Rode NT2A (has the same capsule as the Rode K2 from what I have read)
ADK A-51S-V
Audio-Technica Pro 57

my other gear includes:
Grace m101
Emu-1616m
Mackie Control
And am using Sonar Pro 7 & 8

I'm wanting to get a decent tube mic for my home studio.
And was looking at the Apex 460, Mxl V69 or MXL 960.
or Groove Tubes GT66 or Sterling Audio ST66 or even a
KEl HM-7U ( I know it's not a tube mic but a fet mic)

Which do you think would best suit my needs..I record pop/country
and a little pop. So I would mainly use it on my vocals...So I would want a warm
sounding mic. If that helps...lol

There is no place around here that I can do a shoot off with various mics.

Thanks for any help
Ken

All I can comment on is what I've got and that would be the 460 with a tube upgrade.
I put a GE 5 star 6072 in it and it's a pretty nice mic. It wasn't bad before but, for my voice, it works great.
my 2c.........

...I've had 3 of the tube mics you mentioned and the MXL 960 is the better choice due to it's more neutral, rounder tone without the harsh top-end exhibited by the some of the other mics...I found the V69 a bit dark and the 460 is a touch thin (IMHO)...the 960 is actually one of the more versatile inexpensive mics around...upgrade the tube with an NOS GE 6072 (as mentioned above) and you'll be pleasantly surprised by the sound of this entry-level tube condenser...;)

...that said, if you can afford the extra cash, the Kel HM-7u sounds more "expensive" than the rest...one of the better bargains in the condenser marketplace (and the "toob" mic thing is a bit of a hype)...a well designed mic built with quality components (like the Kels) will always be the better choice...all the Kel mics are exceptional at their pricepoints (again IMHO)...the Kel Hm-2d sounds very much like the classic Shure SM7 (dynamic), and will definately bring a more thick (warm) tone than the others...and then, there's always the original...the SM7...best $300 you'll ever spend on a mic...

Last edited:
...that said, if you can afford the extra cash, the Kel HM-7u sounds more "expensive" than the rest...one of the better bargains in the condenser marketplace (and the "toob" mic thing is a bit of a hype)...a well designed mic built with quality components (like the Kels) will always be the better choice...all the Kel mics are exceptional at their pricepoints (again IMHO)...the Kel Hm-2d sounds very much like the classic Shure SM7 (dynamic), and will definately bring a more thick (warm) tone than the others...and then, there's always the original...the SM7...best $300 you'll ever spend on a mic...

Kidvybes.... I read a few of your other posts regarding the Kel HM-7u..And I went to the website and listened to the samples and was very impressed...
IT sounds like a well balanced mic and for the price I was blown away...
I'm starting to consider that mic as well as the Sterling Audio ST66 or Groove Tubes GT66......But thanks for suggesting that KEl mic I am really considering that even though it's not a tube mic...

Ken

I would consider the CAD M9 as well. IMHO, it makes a nice vocal mic, and I like the sound (at least on my tenor voice) more than any of the Chinese tube condensers I've used (even after a tube swap). If you're recording either a baritone or bass vocals or female vocals of any sort, your mileage may vary, of course.

kidvybes' suggestion for the Kel is a good one. A very good mic indeed, especially for country.

Of the other 3 you listed either of the MXL would be good too. The Apex 460 just doesn't have good specs stock and it takes a lot of upgrading components to make that one really useful.

I picked up a 460 for my son a couple of weeks ago - we haven't even plugged it in yet, because we're waiting for TnC to make their ACM-1200 upgrade kits available (new circuit board and transformer), hoping they'll also fit the 460. If you're still looking whenever that comes to pass, I'll follow up.

Thanks antichef... I'll probably still be looking I'm taking my time (as I do with all my purchases...lol) and keep reading..So I'd very much appriciate it...

Ken

good choice, nothing wrong with that mic (as opposed to the apex that out of the box needs lower output tube to avoid distortion.... the circuit needs an at or lower, the ax that comes with it causes the next stage to distort at higher levels. nasty.

then you need to open the basket and kill some nasty mesh. upgrade the caps. ideally replace the transformer. then it sounds a little better and is usable.

then you need to replace the capsule to make it a really really good mic.

but the GT is useful right out of the box, good choice.

Thanks Don!!!!

I feel better now.....Thanks for all the advise you guys.....

Ken

now to "Grace m101 (Which I have ) or Summit 2AB-221"

Actually I just bought the Sterling Audio St66 as well...(also came with a SE reflection filter and pop filter) and earlier today I bought the Groove Tubes Gt66 (I know they are the same mic but I got such a deal on the ST66 and filters I couldn't pass it up...and will sell the GT66 when I get it...)

Ken

sweet - nice upgrade path

good pres all of those. I'm not a grace fan, perfectly good pre, really really pristine. but you can get pristine with the fmr rnp as well, which again I also have no "love" for.

pristine is sort of technically ideal - but I so rarely want pristine these days :-)

where I WOULD want it is for classical recording, piano, stuff like that. the high end in those pres is amazing (grace ;-).

and they... um... look pristine. :-)

but I think your choices have been fantastic.

Don Thanks so much for the nfo...

IF I could bother you again if you have time to listen to my recordings on my website let me know what I lack and need to work on..I am using the Grace on about everything in the recordings... But please excuse my musical abilities...lol..I'm working on them daily especially my vocals...

Thanks again

Ken

all I can say is frikin WOW!!!

That Sterling Audio ST66 blows my Rode NT2-A sound like a radio shack
clearance sale mic....lol and I thought the Rode sounded great....

Both the Sterling Audio ST66 and the Groove Tubes Gt66 came at the same time today..I did a track with both mics same settings and everything and both mics sounded totally different...Both sounded so warm...exactly what I was looking for but theGT66 sounded a little hotter.......I was gonna sale the GT66 (Still may) but since they sound different I may keep it...
And that was running through my Grace Pre........(I had my Grace on eBay since I bought the Summit Audio but after hearing these mics through the Grace I canceled the listing....lol

I can't wait to get the Summit Audio 2Ba-221 which should be in any day...I've got GAS bad.....lol

kidvybes my next purchase will definitely be the Kel HM-7u and Kel Hm1 they sound incredible for the price...

ken

Last edited:
How about selling the st66

You might want to look into selling the st66, it's the same design as the GT66, but I'm not sure if the components are the same. Try looking in the KEL HM-2d or something that will give you a really different vocal tone. In my opinion the HM-7U falls into a similar sonic range as the gt55 & gt66 mics (and no I'm not basing my opinion on how they look either) some high end sizzle without cheap Chinese sounding harshness.

Try looking in the KEL HM-2d or something that will give you a really different vocal tone. In my opinion the HM-7U falls into a similar sonic range as the gt55 & gt66 mics

...good point...HM-2d sounds more like a dynamic (SM7)...thick!...nice;)

You might want to look into selling the st66, it's the same design as the GT66, but I'm not sure if the components are the same. Try looking in the KEL HM-2d or something that will give you a really different vocal tone. In my opinion the HM-7U falls into a similar sonic range as the gt55 & gt66 mics (and no I'm not basing my opinion on how they look either) some high end sizzle without cheap Chinese sounding harshness.

I actually sold the GT66...IT sounded harsh as opposed to the ST66 which to me sounded so much warmer. After looking inside both mics the only things that were the same were the diaphragm and the tube. but IMO the St66 sounded so much warmer. I definitely will be looking into the Kel Hm-2d...I was impressed with their sound clips. But as of right now I'm so glad I didn't get the Apex or the MXl..

I appreciate everyone's advice it really has helped me so much....

Back