Heil Sound

BroKen_H

Re-member
I noticed today (I'm probably way behind the times) that Heil Sound (I'm sure Bob has little to do with the engineering anymore) has a line of large diaphragm dynamic mikes. Anyone have any takes on these. Could be a boon to people without decent room treatment if they've got the juice. Could be great for vocal/cab miking anyway.
Apparently they're designed for radio and broadcast.

I have the PR35 and really like it alot, the singer in my band uses it and it is a hotter and clearer signal. I bought it after reading many reviews and am glad I did as it really improved our vocal sound. Quality is excellent. Thumbs up from me.

I recently snapped up a Heil PR-22 just to see for myself. I had read that they are not quite as hyped/harsh sounding in the upper mid-range and highs, (4K to 10K). I wanted to try it out on 3 different female singers, one in the studio and 2 in live bands.

Over the last few weeks, I have directly compared it with SM58, N/D767a, Co7, and a few other dynamics which I can't recall right now. It does indeed make female vocals sound more natural and less harsh. It was just easier to find that "sweet spot" while EQing. While it wasn't a huge day-and-night difference, everyone could notice a different sound. All the right frequencies were present and I would describe it as being more like a good quality ribbon mic or something. It was full, rich, articulate, and elegant sounding without being sharp anywhere. Also, if you happen to go a bit heavy with compression to improve on intelligibility, it doesn't work against you quite as much as the other mics do when it comes to de-essing. Perhaps the larger diaphragm offers slightly slower transient response which tames the upper-mid. I don't know.

That was all live stage work and the singers have reported that it sounds better in their in-ear-monitors as well. I haven't tried it out in the studio just yet, but I am optimistic that it will do well.

It may not be the end-all cure-all to every problem but, I did find a new go-to mic for higher-pitched vocalists, both male and female.

Last edited:
After all these years, I assumed Bob would have retired, but a quick search tells me he is, indeed, still quite active in the company! Good on ya, Bob!

Are there other large diaphragm dynamics out there? Kind of interested in that concept. I had assumed (exactly as Raw Depth points out) that it would give slower transient response and was wondering if there was a down side to the larger diaphragm. I see they're using aluminum, which is non-ferrous, yes? So not subject to corrosion/problems from spit, etc. and not directly affected by the magnet(s)...

I had a pair of PR-30 for a short period.
I always thought they had some kind of smiley curve loudness thing going on.
As I had gotten a killer deal on them I was able to sell them with a little profit,
and so I did.
They were not my cup of tea.
I'd go for a RE-20 instead.

There is also the Shure SM7.

I sent an email to Heil customer support once. Bob Heil called me to help me with the issue. Now that is customer support.

Back