Heavy Duty Mic Stand

Robert27191

Hi All,

I'm looking for a heavy duty (and I really mean heavy duty) mic stand. I have a couple of condenser mics of variable but average weights and all the boom stands I've had over the years have become loose and 'droopy'.

The kicker is that I also use sE's Reflection Filter Pro, and weighing 8lbs/4kg on it's own, I need something that is really solid.

The two I have come across which seem to fit the bill without getting astronomical in price are the sE Pro microphone stand or the Sontronics Matrix 10.

The Sontronics is slightly cheaper and actually appears to be (IMHO) slightly better, with the counterweights and more rigid central pole.

Any thoughts/experiences/advice?

Many thanks,

Robert

Jeez. I looked at booth of those. You Shure you need all that? Or certainly not if you put that gobo thing on a straight stand maybe?
I've never had clutch slip with the boom Tama's I have. Their moderately heavy build, I can hang a pair of mics over a kit with it -in other words the clutch is good enough, I'd just need to add a few sand bags over a few of the legs to reach out that far.Their about $80 if you look around.
With the Se thingie even on there (and the mic), how horizontal' do you figure you'd be going anyway?

Your boom should convert to a straight stand. Using the reflection filter, that is just a lot of weight. I would remove the boom, put the mic on the straight piece and then add the filter under that. Would be easier and getting something to hold that filter will require some structure.

Hi DM60....you mean add the filter on another stand behind it?

No, the mic holder will sit on the threaded part where the boom was located. If the sE is a friction mount, you can put it on the main pipe that is holding the mic. That way there is no weight extended out there.

Does that make sense?

I get what you mean.
Trouble is, I've tried that in the past, both with a regular straight stand, and also by taking the boom arm off my current stand. Whilst it removes the 'droopy' issue, I can assure you that the stand still tips forward alarmingly. Not enough to actually topple over, but by enough to make it awkward to use....and worrying!

The other point is that I specifically want a boom arm because I play piano and often record vocals and piano together...thus needing at least one boom to have over the keys...

Go to gun shop, get few bags of shot. (I scored a few empties for free, went to the beach and put sand in them.

Try looking at the section for room treatment, not as hard as you think and it could treat your room to help the room sound better. You can make them portable so as to not have them up all the time, hang them off walls, do some bass trapping if required, all temporary. You could fix some up in a weekend and about $100. Some Roxul would solve the problem and help with the piano sound as well.

Just a thought.

Try looking at the section for room treatment, not as hard as you think and it could treat your room to help the room sound better. You can make them portable so as to not have them up all the time, hang them off walls, do some bass trapping if required, all temporary. You could fix some up in a weekend and about $100. Some Roxul would solve the problem and help with the piano sound as well.

Just a thought.
Ding.
"You must spread some rep around before..."
The other thing with hanging out a bunch of weight/mass like that thing is bouncy bouncy'!

I have an old round base Mike stand and added a couple of bar weights to it ( just slide them over the pole) I put 15 kg and nothing moves it - i use the reflection filter and some very heavy mics no probs n cheap fix :)

I have an old round base Mike stand and added a couple of bar weights to it ( just slide them over the pole) I put 15 kg and nothing moves it - i use the reflection filter and some very heavy mics no probs n cheap fix :)
Yep. A few of those (10#'ers I guess), along with the stash of the shot bags, comes in under 'essentials to keep handy'.

Latch Lake has got a pretty new small mic stand in their product line.
This should do everything you need.

If I have heavy stuff to put on a boom I usually use counterweights,
there are nice and convenient ones from Manfrotto, for ligthing hardware:
bg172.jpg

Not as cost effective as sandbags, though.

Latch Lake has got a pretty new small mic stand in their product line.
This should do everything you need.

If I have heavy stuff to put on a boom I usually use counterweights,
there are nice and convenient ones from Manfrotto, for ligthing hardware:
View attachment 90453

Not as cost effective as sandbags, though.
Yeah but wow.. Two very cool bits of kit there.
Especially that Latch Lake stand. Not that I'll be actually needing anything like that, but still. :) 'Coming soon, wonder what it'll run..?

Thanks for posting that.

Especially that Latch Lake stand. Not that I'll be actually needing anything like that, but still. :) 'Coming soon, wonder what it'll run..?

I think it's out now - I saw it at the MPX show in London a week ago. :thumbs up:

Thanks for posting that.
I don't have a Latch Lake myself, and I fear that I won't own one in the foreseeable future.
K&M and counter weights must do for me.

Back