Have I damged my new Mic?

Token

Hello,

i'm a little bit afraid that I have damaged my new Rode nt 1000 by trying to remove the head basket. I've dropped it by mistake from a few centimeters and so I wanted to check if the capsule-membrane is still ok, so I turned the head-basket about two times until I realised the this will turn the capsule also, so I stopped this atempt. Could this have damaged the wireing of the capsule?

What is the correct way to remove the basket on the Nt1000?

Many thanks in advance!

yes, I've checked it and it works. But im still a bit afraid to have overstressed the wiring. It was a terrible idea to drop it and even more terrible to try to open it up. But im still wondering, if I could remove the basket by srewing it from the body without damaging the wiring.

thanks - its pretty new, so i was really impressed by storys of people having broken mics by dropping it of a little distance, so I wanted to check. As far as I understood one can detect a broken diaphragma by thin stripes on the gold-surface.

Most of these types of mics open from the bottom.
There is often a ring that unscrews...then the casing of the body slides off, exposing the electronics, and there is a metal frame structure, and to that there are screws that hold the basket in place...and separately the capsule mount.

In those types of setups...it's not possible to turn just the basket/capsule. I think maybe you were simply spinning the entire inner metal frame within the outer body casing (along with the basket and capsule)...or a different way to look at it, you were holding the casing and THAT'S what was actually spinning around everything else, since the body casing is NOT screwed down, it's just a free floating sleeve held in place by the ring at the bottom of the mic. I doubt that the spinning did any damage.

Remove the ring...slide off the casing...and you can see the insides. Don't unscrew the basket exposing the capsule if everything looks alright. The capsule mounts are somewhat delicate, and of course, so is the capsule. If the mic works as it should...no need to inspect the capsule for "thin stripes" or whatever....

thanks for the nice explanation. when I saw the capsule winding along with the basket I thought this has to be wired somehow with parts of the mic which where not moving and so to "twirl" the wires.

so many thanks again to all! I could not withstand and tryed to dismantel the mic like described from miroslaw. and indeed when finished, I held the the basket together with the capsule and electronics in one hand and the empty base-housing in the other. When I firs tryed the mic was still attached to the stand and so the only cable I've twisted was the xlr connected with the mic, cause I've turned nor or less the complete unit. Happy again.

By the way, I's my first a little bit more expensive mic and im quit happy with it, but with my Alesis IO-Dock I have to turn the gain really fully up for recording a guitar in about 1m distance. Is this because of the low output-level of the NT-1000 or because of the weak preamps in the IO-Dock?

Back