Has anyone done the mxl2001 tapop mod?

ereiamjh

Sorry if this has been discussed. I searched this
group and came up with nothing... The modification
article is in sept/oct tapeop and is written by
David Royer. It replaces the electronics with a tube amp/power supply.

Curious if anyone has done this and what the
results were.

Hey,
I too have looked for anyone who has done the mod and I haven't found anyone. I'm still going to be doing it and I emailed Dave Royer yesterday so I could get the circuit boards.

Ian

imacgreg, just curious

If you knew what was included in the full kit.
It seems a bit expensive for the stuff that's
listed in the picture, unless he's throwing in
the box and connecters, etc... Thanks!

MOD Sounds silly to me.

If you want tube effect ,you can download an Antaries (sp?)type tube effect for free . Thats a good price. Or use a tube pre amp . Or buy one of the less expensive ones with it built in.

I don't think the tube sound is some mystical, magical thing.... just an effect.

Sounds like soft,fuzzy, white noise to me.

WOB said:
If you want tube effect ,you can download an Antaries (sp?)type tube effect for free . Thats a good price. Or use a tube pre amp . Or buy one of the less expensive ones with it built in.

I don't think the tube sound is some mystical, magical thing.... just an effect.

Sounds like soft,fuzzy, white noise to me.

That's not the point at all!

The preamp inside the 2001 is junk and doesn't do a good job of reproducing the sound of the capsule. The frequency curve becomes exaggerated on the high end and the types of capacitors they use are not very linear and make the mic sound harsh. If you replace the amp with a tube circuit you not only have a better amp, but don't have the harsh sound, it's fuller, has a flatter graph and it adds the harmonics that tubes produce.

I've done it. Great results. The main problem is that the 5840 tube is getting harder and harder to find. You can also use a 6205.

Mojave audio doesn't sell the kits anymore. They just have new MA-200 mic.

Crap! I can't believe I posted on this when the original question and subsequent 3 posts are from 2001! :mad:

Back