Harvey (or others): C1 vs. V67G

Wow Doug,
That's a tough question. I'd hafta say that the V67G is better by a hair. I'd actually be happy with either mic, but the slight dip at 600 Hz or so in the C1 doesn't work for some of the things I do.

If I only had the C1, I wouldn't be complaining at all - it's a great mic for the money. The differences in sound between the two aren't all that big. For construction, the C1 is built like a tank and it gets Brownie points there.

There's no clear cut winner between these two - they're both great.

Now, can somebody help me down from this fence?

In view of Alan Hyatt's (owner of Studio Projects) stellar attitude
towards customer happiness go for the C1. Yes I am a non-paid
endorser!

Don't worry Harvey, the fence is holding you up fine. :D

I can't offer my opinions on this subject as it is a conflict of interest, but we all hear different. What works for Harvey or me, may not work for you. Our ears react differently and the mics react differently to different mic preamps, so the only way for you to make a decision, is to try them both, or just pick one and go for it. I am sure you would not be dissapointed in either mic.

Alan Hyatt
Studio Projects

I agree 100% with what Alan said. You can't go wrong with either one. And they will act differently depending on the preamp used. If you pick either one and go with it, you won't be dissappointed.

Harvey, are they different enough that you think it would be worthwhile buying both?

Vox, that would depend solely on your mic locker.

If you have a home studio, you don't need a lot of different vocal mics.

If you're running a commercial studio, having both gives you some variety at a low price, and they're both impressive looking to clients.

Re: microphones and mic pre's

Good point about the "compatibility" of mikes and pre's Alan.
Since the VT-1's will be made with the Studio Projects mikes in mind,
I'll hang loose until January and probably check one out then.
Even though I just have a home studio, I get bored easily!

Hey Chess, if your bored, you need to write more music, or come on up and help us ship these things. We can put you to work!! :D

Thanks for the offer Alan, my rates are reasonable, especially for beta
testing of your products!

Actually, I'm just starting to study lyric writing as it helps me to do
song interpretations better. (when not selling homes-day job)
Being a gear enthusiast is cheaper than collecting Harleys at least!

Re: studying writing

Cyan, I'm reading "You Can Write Song Lyrics" by Terry Cox, and 6 Steps
to Songwriting Success by Jason Blume. It's really to understand song
forms better, not to become the next Bob Dylan. They're both excellent
books, however.

Hey Chess,

Ijust recommended that book by Jason Blume over in the Songwriters forum...its one of the few books on songwriting that are actually helpful....especially in the areas on proper structures and writing with commercial success in mind.....

Gidge, you're probably better able to judge these books-any songwriting
success will no doubt only feed my microphone "habit"!
My goal is to become an "intellectual singer" (translation-a singer who
remembers the words), a rare feat.

P.S. If Harvey Gerst sees this, I'm curious if he still writes songs like
when he was working with The Byrds (among my top 5 fave groups).

Which preamp for which mic then?

If the mics are extremely similar, then wouldn't they react similarly (relatively) to the same preamp? And does anybody have a recommendation for a relatively inexpensive preamp that would be particularly well suited for either (meaning one or the other - not necessarily both) mic? I know someone will recommend waiting for the Studio Projects preamp, but what about what's available now? And will the SP pre really be optimized for the C-1?
Anyone with either a C-1 or a 67 who thinks their mic-pre combo is the bomb?

Cardioidpotent

Microphones can be similar in sound, but there are subtleties that make them different. In the case of the C1 and V67, you have many opinions on both the mics, but in the end, the only opinion that counts is your own.

The Marshall mic does measure differently than ours in the loading, so yes, they will sound different on different mic pres. All mics put out small amounts of voltage measured in millivolts, depending on the impedance of the mic pre, so how it deals with this voltage will determine how it loads.

Yes, our mic pre-amps are matched to all our mics, but that does not mean it can only be used for our mics. Mic pres are hit and miss unless you get one with variable or auto loading capabilities. In the case of the Vipre, that will cost you big. Joemeek does this automatically, and it is very reasonably priced. Of course you must want to have one of these to control your mics.

In either case, the VT-1 mic pre will be judged by what it is once it hits the streets.

Alan Hyatt
PMI Audio Group

chessparov said:
P.S. If Harvey Gerst sees this, I'm curious if he still writes songs like when he was working with The Byrds (among my top 5 fave groups).
I have one song on an old Nitty Gritty Dirt Band album, and a few others scattered around. I don't write near as much as I use to.

Cardioidpotent,

The V67G has an output transformer; the C1 does not. Many mic preamps will react differently to these two mics.

Back