Harvey Baby

smellyfuzz

HARVEY BABY:

I was reading over some of your older posts & I have some questions for you.

1) I own the CAD E-200 & in general I like the clarity & warmth of the
microphone.

However, while listening to some recordings of my voice I noticed that
it sounded brash or harsh if you will, or perhaps a little too forward.

I tried adjusting the volume & EQ to compensate
but this did not help.

Keep in mind that my experience in EQing is low.

Any suggestions ?

2) As I mentioned before, I was reading old posts, at one time you stated
that microphone pre-amps under $300 color the sound of microphones.

Questions:

Is it better to not use a pre-amp if you cannot afford a decent one ?

At what price range do you recommend one can expect to pay for
fair amount of quality ?

Do you recommend any such pre-amps ?

Finally, Do you know of any cheepes that you do
recommend even if the sound gets colored some what ?

All comments welcome

LOVE,
SEAN

I don't know why you addressed this only to Harvey. Seems like the whole community could give input into this, and I don't know if you're likely to get a great deal of feedback from Harvey for topics that are discussed at length and frequently on this board. You might try the "Search" function.

Charger,

Sean probably included my name in the heading since the CAD E-200 is based on my design (of IMC's "The Mic"). The CAD E-200 uses two 1/2" electret Primo cardioid capsules back to back to achieve the multiple patterns. I am not a big fan of that capsule, even though Nakamichi used it in their C300 mics.

The original capsules speced for that mic were the Yasu capsules, which had wild variations but the "good" ones were incredible. We would get maybe 15 or so good capsules out of a batch of 50.

When IMC decided not to produce The Mic, I gave the design to Dick Rosmini, CAD's consultant, and that became the basis for the CAD E-200.

Sean, try singing about 30° off axis and also try aiming the mic away from your mouth (vertically).

As far as the second question, I haven't had much experience with inexpensive mic preamps. Preamps can change the sound of a mic dramatically, but which to use for the E-200, I can't tell you that.

I'm calm! It wasn't like I was mad or something, I was just pointing out (what I thought was) the obvious. BTW, the Search function does the "sifting through 8000 posts" thing for you.

Back