Harvey asked me to post my question for your thoughts and feedback?

Hi More sound

No my camera doesn't have a EQ feature unfortunately, The mic didn't come with a wind cover? Where on earth can I get one to fit it (ie) very small mic?

I will also try taping the lead down so no movement as I understand that can create noise too.

I have seen a few people on you tube using shotgun microphones placed away from them but they are directional ?? Would these mics be a better alternative to tie clip mics to help remove the interference problems or I am I definitely on the right track using the tie clip style mics in your opinion?

Hope you are having a great weekend.

All the best

Slim

Yes so far the tie clip microphone position is your best option.

Wind screens ..... you can try your local music store or just search on line for a few that are for small microphones or lav mic that will fit over each microphone sphere of the Sony.

Do you load the camera right to youtube or do you have a post production film editor that you load your shot to then dump it to youtube?
If you have any post production video edit capabilities that is where you'll be able to preform your audio doctoring.
If you don't have this I'm sure someone will chime in and tell you which one you should get, from memory I think some people have suggested Veges? Check the music video forum here at HR.

Hi More sound

Thanks again for your feedback.

Yes I will find and buy a suitable wind screen . I put the footage via fire wire straight into windows movie maker then edit and put up to you tube as DV-AVI file. I Know how to edit the video but will have to look into and learn about editing audio?

Not sure what you think but I am thinking of not using the tie clip that came with mic buy instead taping it to my sternum so less moment? What tape/fitting do you recommend?
Hopefully with a more secure fitting and windscreen it should be a lot better.

Another option is to invest in a better lavaleir mic? It seems like a good investment and I know you get what you pay for any recommendations?

One last thing I have been reading all I can and like you say the lavaleir mic looks a very good option.However I just saw a great video on you tube about the Rode Nt3 condenser mic it seems it can be placed quite far away from the mouth and pick up good audio? It could be used with mic stand placed near to me but not in camera footage.

It did sound great on the video.

Any thoughts on that idea?

Cheers

Slimbob

Do you have a link to that youtube video for us to hear using the Rode?
My guess is that if it sounds good then the room that they are using is also good or they could be using post production glamor.

Maybe something like that would be good, but to be most efficient, you would also need a boom operator.

Hi Moresound

Yes the video is below , I am just a newbie but thought it was a very interesting video .I like the set up with the mic in front on the stand when the lady reads as that would be the kind of set up I would try to replicate and it isn't in a studio.However I appreciate my room is not the best so as you said it could pick up a lot of surround noise.When you say boom the mic I wont have a anyone to help me could I just use a mic stand with the nt3 mic over head pointing down to replicate booming if you recommend the mic that is .It seems to give a wonderful rich full sound!

YouTube - ‪Hypercardiod or shotgun mic for indoor audio‬‏

Moresound I have also included the same guy reviewing the rode lavalier mic, this looks very good too plus it has micon adapter to turn mic from mono to stereo so it can plug straight into my camcorder's stereo mic input , not sure if it works off battery or needs phantom power I will have to check.it is about £150 so I could afford that.Love the guys advice about pointing down and using gaffer tape i am learning all the time !!!! Plus he mentions the windscreen you advised me to use.

YouTube - ‪RODE Lavalier microphone‬‏

I know you recommended to stick with the lavalier approach so if that is the case and you still think it is the best option for me compared to nt3 mic does the rode lavalier mic look o.k or is there a lavalier mic you highly recommed for my situation.My sony is o.k but I think it is worth investing in a good mic (the rode comes with a 5 year guarantee!")

What are your thoughts on my existing sony cs10 or buy new rode lavalier or nt3 setup? or any other recommendations?

Thanks a million Moresound

slimbob.

P.S -

I really want to spend time getting the best set up I can to save myself time in the future!

Notice that all of the examples with the Rode nt3 did not show it's use in an overhead boom type position.
Only in front of the narrator as a Shure 58 would be used.

That Rode lavalier was pretty cool but what will it do that your Sony doesn't all ready preform for you?

Hi Moresound

Point taken about my Sony CS10 and re investing in the more expensive Rode lavalier.

I will get the windscreen and experiment with tape to reduce the popping and clothes rustle just as you recommend.

Thanks Moresound you are the only one who continued this thread after me putting my you tube videos up so I can’t thank you enough and I really appreciate all your help .I wont make this thread any longer or take up any more of your time, cant push my luck!

I will keep you posted with how I get on.

Cheers

Slimbob

slimbob,

I watched the third video. The first two said private.

I could hear the rustling of the clothes. That would probably be less with a dynamic lav mic like the EV 649b. I think you could address this with the mic you have with more careful mic placement and possibly tape like you suggested.

Although I have seen people ask a lot for the 649b I bought both of mine under $50. This is a discontinued mic so you might have to search and wait to find one at the right price.

I don't think there will be much quality difference. The mic you have sounds fine. It's just very sensitive to your movement and could be distracting.

The 649b is mono. It probably won't plug directly into your camcorder and work. When I shoot my music videos I use an audio chain completely separate from the video camera and use the audio on the camera to sync the audio. Then I mute the audio on the camera. This is probably not the best solution for you.

My recommendation is that you learn how to do post production on your audio in a video editor. Between more careful placement of the mic you have and post production that can dramatically improve the audio quality you can probably get what you want without buying a lot more equipment. This would be the first step anyway. Whatever mic you use post production will help.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Back