Harmonica

lomky

Hey all, I've searched and read on this subject. This is one track on a punkish albumn w/ a bluesy influence (think "The Clash" or "Cadilac Tramps").

I've read about the Green Bullet, and it sounds cool, but I have no access to one, and I don't know if I want to buy one for just one project. I mostly work in the punk/metal/hardcore click.

I think I'm looking at reamping the harp through a guitar amp. I'm not sure exacltly how to do this. Can I send a direct channel signal from my mixer (A&H Mixwizard), but this would be a balanced signal going to the amp, corect? Or can I plug an XLR to 1/4" cable directly into the amp? I guess that would limit me to non phantom mics.

Right now the mics I have onhand:

Soundroom MK012 (Hyper, Card, Omni)
AT 4033
SM57
Beta 58
Beyer M260
SP B1
RE27
D12

Any of these I should focus on? Thinking maybe D12 or 421 cupped.
Of course I'm going to experiment, but I'm just looking for suggestions/experiences.

Thanks

Plug your 57 into the amp w/ XLR to 1/4" cord and mic the amp with whatever mic or mics you want and record. I have done this and it works great.

Cheers
David

Ah yes, the only instrument that sucks AND blows. Seriously, use the pignose with the 57 and you'll smile big. THe 57 is all I have ever used on harp. I don't record a lot of harp but I have one guy who comes in and wants it on every song. He's always been happy with the 57/15w amp combo. (Mine's not a Pignose but I don't think it would matter much.)

a good trick to green bullet up any track - including your harmonica - is to send your track to a set of cheaper headphones and distort em to taste and mic those up.

if your amp thing doesn't work out...and it may...try this with a clean track of harmonica...it gives you the option to add the dirt in the mix.

Mike

i guess you could! :eek:

distorting them with an amplifier may be easier than distorting them with a harmonica though. :D

Mike

pedals

hey guys, on this topic...if i had my dynamic xlr into a 1/4 jack, could i run that into a stomp box? and run 1 1/4 jack to xlr out into my sound card?

It would work and wouldn't blow anything up. How would it sound? Well........probably lofi but that can be cool sometimes.

Big Kenny said:
yup, and mic the amp with the Beyer, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Exactly! SM57 into the amp, mic the amp with the ribbon.

And if you want clean harp, just mic it with the Beyer and no amp....... works great!

Back