Guitar Center - Labor Day Sales?

hey all- these sales obviously vary alot from place to place. A couple of guys I talked to at the raleigh store acturally new quite a bit and prices seemed to vary relative to what I've been hearing. I bought 2 octava mk012's for $65/each. The saleman claimed the store paid $61/each for them. octava 319's were $99. This same person pointed out to me that the store was blowing out a demo roctron prophesy at $99. This guitar preamp/sound processor currently goes for $1400 at musiciansfriend. I also picked up an audix d6 for $180. Not a great deal but a fair price on a bass drum mic I've been looking at for a while. A mixed bag but I'm pretty happy overall. Anybody else get any deals?

I finally went 30 minutes before they closed and scored a couple of new KRK ROKITs for $140. :D They were badly needed and sound great, BTW.

BTW, the single Oktava MC-012s (or is that MK-012s?) are on sale 2 for $99 all month long. The GC here's out of stock right now. :mad:

Yea! $99 for 2 mk-102. Sorry to hear that some GC are out of stock. About the prophecy, I believe that may be a floor model. Sale differs from store to store. As a matter of fact the Hollywood branch had a Digitech legend tube pre go for $100. I know that Legend is not the latest but it still sounds great and for the price that's a good deal.

Monster- Are those d6 as good as d12s for kick drums? I'm just wondering because of that price difference between the 2.

I went to get a mic stand for $19.00 and a free shitty mic....
(I needed the stand)...

I ended up with those and,.

a set of Sony MDR-7506 cans...
4 sets of strings...
a new guit strap....
a new D blues harp
a box of picks...
and a new Martin DCX1E..with the Fishman...
with the case....

yup....$19.00 is what I WAS gonna spend...:rolleyes:

.....the prophesy was a demo..... and after playing with it tonight I think it's the best deal I've ever gotten! Anyways I haven't used the d6 only read about it. It sounds like it does NOT compare to the d12- the d12 is the benchmark. It does however get good reviews- doesn't have the low end of a d12. I've heard good things about it as a live mic and am interested in that purpose as well.

Flatpicker said:
I finally went 30 minutes before they closed and scored a couple of new KRK ROKITs for $140. :D They were badly needed and sound great, BTW.

They do sound great. I thought they were a bargain two years ago when I paid about $240 when they were selling for $300.

joro said:
I went to get a mic stand for $19.00 and a free shitty mic....
(I needed the stand)...

I ended up with those and,.

a set of Sony MDR-7506 cans...
4 sets of strings...
a new guit strap....
a new D blues harp
a box of picks...
and a new Martin DCX1E..with the Fishman...
with the case....

yup....$19.00 is what I WAS gonna spend...:rolleyes:
Glad I'm not the only one with that problem!:D
I guess that's what keeps them in business.

lmao, my roomate and I went there the other day for a LD condenser for vocals (prolly woulda ended up with the 313) but instead we walked out with a 57, two of those $20 tube pres, a mic stand with that free mic, and two XLR cables, haha on the way in we said "ok no more than a hundred bucks" our total was almost $180!! them bastards!

peace

wyd

This sale of two MK012 for $99. Is this something that GC has advertized? I was there yesterday and asked about it and no one seemed to know about it. If it's advertized, wher can i get a copy of that? I love to get a pair of those.

Thanks, Terry

still4given said:
This sale of two MK012 for $99. Is this something that GC has advertized? I was there yesterday and asked about it and no one seemed to know about it. If it's advertized, wher can i get a copy of that? I love to get a pair of those.

Thanks, Terry
I saw it in a sales flyer at the store (two different salesmen showed it to me), but I don’t have a copy. You’d think it’d be on their web site, but nooooooooooo! I guess they’re too busy stashing their money away somewhere before they go bankrupt from being so unorganized. Of course, if it was public knowledge, EVERY store would have to oblige, and we can’t have that, now can we? :eek:

Sometimes they’re just plain pathetic! :mad:

still4given said:
They had it in the flyer last time, but my GC didn't specifically have the deal yesterday.

I just went and asked the Pro Audio guy if they had MK-012s on sale and he said that they had them in the monthly sale as two for one. I asked if that matched the 2/$99.99 from the last sale and he said no, it wasn't that low, but he'd check - then he fiddled on the computer for a minute and said, "Sure, I can do it for that. Want a couple?"

I got several deals like that - just made them an offer and they went for it. They'll take really low prices on stuff during those sales.

I haven't been all that impressed with their sales, but I guess it depends on where ya live. I wish they would just give you the lowest price on stuff, and cut out all the haggleing...

M Havlen said:
I haven't been all that impressed with their sales, but I guess it depends on where ya live. I wish they would just give you the lowest price on stuff, and cut out all the haggleing...
There are sales and there are sales. The Memorial Day and Labor Day sales are usually the best, but it depends on what stock your GC has. More importantly, I finally figured out something yesterday:

Look for the number of early-risers who are there before 0800. The Labor Day sale usually has tons of people there lined up by 0730 and there are usually great deals. Yesterday, there was almost nobody there and there was very little in the way of great listed bargains. I've noticed this phenomenon being very consistent before. The only logical conclusion is that there are leaks from store employees to their friends, maybe called in the night before, when the staff stays late after closing, tagging the sale items.

I've done my best to shake down some pre-sale info from my guys there, but so far no dice.

As for the haggling, I don't do it. I just ask if they can match a price or what their lowest cash price for me that day is. I get great deals. Only a mook pays floor tag prices there on major gear, or even accessories.

At least 3 items on the "list" that I was interested in, had been sold on previous days. A couple of other items that I wanted showed in the register to still be in stock, but no one could find them. All in all, it was a bit disappointing. Most of the "blue tag" items were only marked down 10% which is a price you can usually haggle to anyway. I think I'll just go back when there aren't so many folks and just haggle. :D

Blessings, Terry

still4given said:
At least 3 items on the "list" that I was interested in, had been sold on previous days. A couple of other items that I wanted showed in the register to still be in stock, but no one could find them. All in all, it was a bit disappointing. Most of the "blue tag" items were only marked down 10% which is a price you can usually haggle to anyway. :D
There were not a lot of discontinued items this time around. This is where the deals are. I've gotten incredible deals on models/colors FMIC has dropped from their various lines, Fender, Gretsch, Sunn, DeArmond, etc. I've gotten a lot of pro audio/recording stuff cheap, too when the companies have folded or GC has dropped them.

It's just timing - and getting there early, because all the good deals are gone in ten or fifteen minutes.

bongolation said:
There were not a lot of discontinued items this time around. This is where the deals are. I've gotten incredible deals on models/colors FMIC has dropped from their various lines, Fender, Gretsch, Sunn, DeArmond, etc. I've gotten a lot of pro audio/recording stuff cheap, too when the companies have folded or GC has dropped them.

It's just timing - and getting there early, because all the good deals are gone in ten or fifteen minutes.
Exactly. I just lucked out with the KRKs. Either no one knew what they were, or no one needed monitors that day.

One great deal I missed out on - one Halfer TA1600 and several TA1100s went for $100 ea. The salesman told me they were gone the first 15 mins.

Yeah, the 2 for $99 MK 012 deal is in effect in Columbus, Ohio. They seem to have plenty to boot. I went in today and picked up a couple. It took me an hour and a half trying to get a close match by ear, but I'm sure it will be worth it. The brought out a lot of mics for me to go through and test. Fortunately, they were patient (the store was fairly empty) and I was intent on trying the mic out before I plunked down $100.

Back