GROUP BUY PARTICIPANTS, PLEASE READ - Group Buy Pricing

Zetajazz44

Hello All Group Buy Participants,

As you know, some time ago Chance stated that if the microphone preamps in this group buy, met a minimum quantity of 100, that their prices would be decreased from "where they are now" to "that price, minus $25.00" USD. This is still the case, but he has an issue with how to "apply" this price BEFORE checkout/payment is made.

Chance has concerns that the quantity of preamps "spoken for" by all in the User Console, might not necesarily reflect what "gets paid for". In short he has concerns that even though the quantities of each are over the 100 mark currently, that a lot of people might "bail out" when it comes time to pay and those numbers of "paid participants" might drop below the 100 mark.

He and I have talked about this in great detail throwing around ideas on how to accomplish this with the least amount of headache for everyone. The first idea was to charge everyone the "Current Price as Listed in the User Console" USD, then as the number of paid reached the 100 mark, refund back to those who had paid the full price...but this would be a big headache and would be very hard to manage.

The latest idea is this, and Chance wanted me to post this here in order to get everyone's thoughts, ideas and suggestions, as we have to make a decision right away since payment for products will start in about 2 days:

I will lower the price of the preamps in the User Console to "that price, minus $25.00" USD. When it comes time to make payment, this is what everyone will be paying. IF, WHEN THE DEADLINE FOR PAYMENT ARRIVES, AND IF THERE HAS NOT BEEN AT LEAST 100 PAID FOR, EVERYONE WHO HAS CHOSEN TO PURCHASE A PREAMP WILL BE SENT A PAYMENT REQUEST FOR THE ADDITIONAL $25.00 USD. If the minimum quantity of 100 PAID is reached, there won't be a request for an additional $25.00.

As I've said, Chance and I have hashed this out over the past few days and this is the only reasonable solution that we have came up with.

Since the majority of GB participants seem to be coming from this board, I wanted to post this here and get your thoughts, before a mass email was sent out with these concerns. Please post your thoughts, suggestions and comments here to help make a decision that will be fair and work for everyone.

Thanks in advance,

Randy
Zetajazz44
Click HERE to Register for the Musician's Workshop Group Buy
Click HERE to See Another One of My Hobbies
TnCLogo_WhiteMatte_BlueHalo.gif

Last edited:
That sounds good.

Charge $___ and if there are a huge amount of flake-outs, charge another $__.

Last edited:
Is posting prices publicly not of any concern now? I thought that having to register before having access to prices was a priority, due to past problems with other vendors who were able to pressure the manufacturer into not selling equipment (mics in particular) to a prior group buy, which then went south.

Is posting prices publicly not of any concern now? I thought that having to register before having access to prices was a priority, due to past problems with other vendors who were able to pressure the manufacturer into not selling equipment (mics in particular) to a prior group buy, which then went south.

Pricing removed from my post.

Reddog, please edit yours as well.. :)

Randy
Zetajazz44

I think that's the best way to deal with it.

I would make this recommendation though so that there is no confusion (and remember, a lot of folks ordering aren't paying any attention to the numerous dialogs in the various forums). On the order form I would put them at $(high price less $25), but in the description I would say something to the effect of:

They are currently $(high price) - you will be charged $(high price less $25) now and $25 a week after first payments are due. If we meet the manufacturing quota, you will not be charged the additional $25.

Or words to that effect. I think it's important to make sure the expectation of everyone is to pay $(high price). Because, heaven forbid, a bunch of people default and you have to charge that additional $25, there will be a bunch of annoyed people who's puny brains didn't quite understand. And at the least, you will have people who order 4 say "can I change my order to 3???" and it will be chaos. So I would take precautionary steps to make sure that people budget for them like they are $(high price) and make that their expectation.

I just figured if we got the discounted rate... the difference would be applied to shipping/duty fees with anything left after that refunded. But this works out too.

Just to throw a wrench into the mix. I've seen it asked, but never answered. Some of the Mics have quite a high number "on order", are there any similar price breaks for those models? It was never mentioned as a possibility, but it sure would be kewl. :D

agreed. lower it--then charge more if the #'s aren't met. makes the most sense and will potentially increase the #'s and attract more buyers! thanks!!!!

I just figured if we got the discounted rate... the difference would be applied to shipping/duty fees with anything left after that refunded. But this works out too.
Yep, we discussed this last night... but we again arrived at "refund", which could get into a hassle having to refund on an individual basis... Have you looked at the number of people registered for this? I told Chance last night that we're gonna have to change it's title from "The Musician's Workshop GROUP BUY" to "The Musician's Workshop MULTITUDE BUY"... :D

Just to throw a wrench into the mix. I've seen it asked, but never answered. Some of the Mics have quite a high number "on order", are there any similar price breaks for those models? It was never mentioned as a possibility, but it sure would be kewl. :D
I'm not sure about that... I'll let Chance answer that one... I'm just the messenger...and a fast typer, and thus why Chance asked me to post this for him! :D

Randy
Zetajazz44

Me and Randy thought of that too. If someone gets 4 pre amps he would recieve $100.00 rebate, but if his shipping was only $30.00, there is still $70.00 that would be owed to him

Ok guys,

I have lowered the price of the preamps in the User Console. I have also added a blurb, as described by Chris Carter, just below the invoice in the User Console, what will happen should the quantities not meet the 100 mark...

Please log into the User Console to see the changes...

Of course, if you don't have one of the preamps selected in your products, you won't see the "blurb" about what will happen should the quantities not meet the 100 mark...

Thanks,

Randy
Zetajazz44

Chase & Randy, your plan seems to be the most effective to me. Any way you look at it, there's a hassle factor. If it was a big company, they'd just charge the higher price and pocket the change if they sold enough. I think your "second billing" if we fall below the quota seems the most logical and fair way to approach it. Carry on!!!

bp

I'll add my yes to the rest of them. I've gone over this in my head even before you posted and I couldn't come up with anything other than charge once, then charge again if needed.

I considered the "apply it towards shipping" solution, but theoretically, Chance could wind up short of the cash needed for the purchase, and it creates the need for a lot of individualed math and that increases the probability that errors will occur. Doing it the way you prescribed means Chance only has to deal in requests for multiples of 25, thus the math is very easy and mistakes will be rare if any happen at all.

Good solution. Well done!

Another thought just came to mind. Perhaps if the extra $25.00 is required, it could be added on to the shipping charge. This would also avoid added Pay Pal charges

+1

Another thought just came to mind. Perhaps if the extra $25.00 is required, it could be added on to the shipping charge. This would also avoid added Pay Pal charges

I actually was just going to say the same thing.

It makes no sense to pay the higher price and the fees associated with that price, then have to refund and handle fees again, what a mess!

Just tack it to the final ship charges, or ask for a second billling.

Back