les666paul

i went to guitar center and bought 3 mics

-Shure KSM 32--$450
-Groove Tubes GT-57--$400
-marshall mxl 990/991 pack--$90
(i can return any for 15 days)

i tried out the three and my oktava mk319 side by side through a mackie board
my favorite is the groove tubes
i dont really dig the ksm and the marshall is a cheapo(i got it because of the good reviews- i may or may not keep it, just to have it around)

my main question is do all the ksm mics have simaler sound and, are the groove tube mics, W/ tubes(GT-66/67) worth paying more for.

also i got my oktava mk 319 at guitar center for around 100 bucks, i chose it by hand out of four or five others that they had around. do you think mine could be a 2nd.

Assuming this is for male vocals?

I have the KSM32 and the 44...to me the 32 is very flat. I like it on some stringed instruments (piano and classical guitar in my experiences) and big male vocals. The 44 sounds bigger with a heavier bottom/bass range. To me, they're very different.

Sorry, no help on the GT or the Oktiva. Can you really take the mics back? Seems to me that if they sold you a used mic, they would have to let you know.

Can't comment on the KSM's, I do have a GT66 and absolutely love the way it flatters my voice as well as a lot of other things. Definitely nice. Do you need the multipattern? The GT66 can be had around 500, maybe less used.

im not sure if i need the multipattern but it seems like it would be nice to have.

i will try to test out the ksm 44 and the GT66/67 next time

by the way the reason that guitar center let me do this is because there was a shitload of people that were flooding the pro audio section. And LOTS of rich bitch christmas shoppers. the guy that was gonna help me was to busy so he let me take them home and keep them for 15 days(after paying full price).

the next time i have to record somethin important im gonna try out a Neumman or another top shelf mic (while of course being extremly carefull, and sandwiching it between 5,000 tempur pedic memory foam pillows).

Holiday shopping can be a drag but looks like you figured out how to make the best of it. Good for you!

Back