Groove Tubes GT-55

o0Charlie0o

Anyone have this mic, or know anything about it? I've never been able to really try any other mic that I could possibly afford (and I say that because the only other mic i've tried was in a studio that costed about 10 grand).

How does this mic stand for vocals in general compared to other popular mics that i've been seeing recommended on this board? I know it matters on the singer, but still.

I've been away from this board for some time now, but I'm back and ready to post again :)

Thanks for the help.

I have the GT 55. I thinks a great vocal mic. Really adds a nice sound to most voices I've recorded with it. Sparkle! When I was trying it out I listened to a GT55, AT4040, and an AT4033. I bought based on my voice since I do a lot of singing. I really liked the sound of the Gt55 on my voice over the others. I think the 4040 is in the same price range as the 55 maybe a bit more, but you should really go to a Guitar Center and try it out. You may like it you may not. I love how it sounds though. Great on acoustics too!
HTH

Jeff

Well I already have it actually. I've had it for about 3 years now.

I was just curious if anyone else had it, but have also had or tried other mics. The 55 is really the only mic I personally know, because I have not been able to try anything else besides the 10,000 dollar mic in the all fancy god studio.

I do like the sound, I just think it doesn't capture the vocals the way I'd like. I don't think they are up front and in your face. Maybe that is the characteristics of the mic based on the singer, maybe its the preamp... But yeah, that was my general question.

I have the GT66, which I think is the same capsule, w/ tube circuitry. I love it, it even makes my bunk ass voice sound good. Very smooth and seems to soften the edges of everything without sounding dull or muffled.

How come out of every post i've read on this board i've never came across anyone mentioning the groove tube microphones?

Usually people will mention the same ones over and over again.

I have and use the Groove Tubes 1B, it is flat out amazing on vox, cabs, guitar, etc. I used to use the Rose NTK quite a bit but it has been seeing lots more drawer time since I got the GT and picked up a couple mc012's

o0Charlie0o said:
How come out of every post i've read on this board i've never came across anyone mentioning the groove tube microphones?

Usually people will mention the same ones over and over again.

I was actually afraid of someone accusing me for always pushing GT. :)
I'm new though, don't have too many posts here. I think GT mics are pretty underated

hey-
I know this is an old post, but its the newest mentioning the GT-55

our singer bought one and is using it record to his hard disc recorder.
Its distorting like crazy whenever he uses any sort of vocal power. I mean the waveforms are =flat=. His recording levels are low enough, he's not clipping in the tracking process.

does this have to do with the Pad?
I've read up on this mic and everyone seems to like it, and have no mention of any distortion. This distortion he's getting is this wax papery kazoo sort of smearing sound.

perhaps is this singer more suited to a dynamic?

any comment would be greatly appreciated.

Are you sure you don't have any clipping into the mic preamp or anything like that?

If you are positive of that, I'd say maybe here is a problem with the diaphram, but I'm not much of an expert on diaphrams... for mics.

hi, Thanks-

yes I'll check that. Its at his house. I've beaten this idea into him that his levels must be right, and not to distort. I believe he's sticking to it but I don't know.

Charlie-
how far away from the mic are you, when it sounds good?

(our singer is under the impression that its 6 inches at all times, and that a "good" mic should work from 6 inches regardless of the voice power involved)

For condensers I always thought it was 6-12 inches depending on the force involved

Back