Groove Tubes 1a. How does it compare to...

I see that a 1b (1a enhanced re-issue) is available and is cheaper than the GT66. In the UK, the GT66 and AM62 are both pretty cheap. How do they compare?

Which is the best sounding, the AM62, GT66 or 1B (tube)? I know this is all subjective, but...

Is the AM62 the same as the GT66?

The MD1a and MD2a are both sort of neo-classics.

They have a very rich, distinct sound that you normally associate with mics in a much higher price bracket than the cheaper M-audio or Alesis versions . . . and subsequently they play in a much bigger league than the Chinese condensers like the SP's. The SP's and the newer M-audio GT's might make for a closer comparison (which you could also probably compare with the Rode NTK and similar).

If you're interested in getting an idea of how it sounds, most of Matthew Sweat's earlier recordings were made using the MD's on vocals and guitar amp . . . and occasionally as drum overheads, if I'm not mistaken.

I believe the AM versions and the GT versions are very similar. Both were made after Alesis bought the mic line from Groove Tubes (and subsequently sold it to M-audio). Don't know anything about the re-issues, although I would be skeptical -- not sure if they'd sound anything like the originals -- probably not as good, one would think.

Chessrock, this has nothing to do with this thread, but I wanted to let you know I checked out your website, and I was really impressed to see that you worked with Josh Ritter. I'm actually a writer and received a promo copy of his record, Golden Age of Radio....for some reason I didn't get around to listening to until it was a little too late to cover it, but it's a record I consistently go back to even now.

Hey thanks.

Yea, Josh and his crew were in Chicago just last month, in fact. A mutual friend of his manager's asked if I'd be interested in having them come in to lay a demo of one of their new tunes down -- called "Girl in the War." We were kicking the idea of having Mike Hagler mix it (he's actually just down the road from me -- has worked a lot with Wilco in the past). Never quite came together, but we at least have a really solid demo of the tune. Very different from what he usually does. I'd call it more "releasable," "radio-friendly," etc. etc. (than some of his other stuff).

Josh is certainly an impressive up-and-comer. Wouldn't be surprized at all to see him really hit it big in the near future. Amaaaazing lyricist. What a talent.

Very cool. I wouldn't be surpised if he adopted a more radio-friendly sound....he's got the talent and the very pure sounding voice to get somewhere in that world. He reminds me of Rhett Miller from the Old 97s that way.

How's business for you in Chicago? I've always wondered what effect Wilco's success had on the local scene out there. Would you say it's been a blessing or a curse? Or just not a factor at all?

What about the 10 micron diaphragm of the MD1a and 2a? Is this a big a deal as some make out?

The MD1a was £499 new and sells for £450 used! When one can buy a new (multi pattern) GT67 for £299, it makes the 1a seem expensive, but if it sounds better then hey...

The new 1b (1a re-issue) is also cheaper in the US than the AM62 and GT versions!

Is there anyone out there who has experience with the 1a (or 2a) and the newer GT tubes?

Mike BL said:
How's business for you in Chicago? I've always wondered what effect Wilco's success had on the local scene out there. Would you say it's been a blessing or a curse? Or just not a factor at all?

A major blessing, actually. There's definitely a "music scene" here now, so to speak, and there's just loads of talent everywhere you look . . . and it all seems to be right here in my neighborhood. They're always filming movies just down the block from me. "High Fidelity" (John Kusak) was filmed almost entirely just a few blocks away, and the Real World was filmed just down the road a few summers ago, same neighborhood. But that's all been happening totally separate from the music scene.

But Yankee Hotel Foxtrot had a major, major impact here, musically. Everyone wants that vibe and that raw, natural sound -- and they're still talking about it. I imagine it's a lot like when Smashing Pumpkins really caught on, but even moreso because so many of the people involved in that are like right here, literally (I even have friends who used to work with Mike at King Size, and have assisted on Wilco's records). And it has helped me get a little work, which is kind of odd in a way. I guess people think if you're in the same neighborhood, then some of the magic might rub off or something. :D I know Josh and Darius (his manager) are big big fans, so you might hear him going a little more in that direction on future projects -- though I probably shouldn't be talking much more about it, publically. PM me, and I'll be happy to share a little more details -- sorry for hijacking this thread, Mr. FunK!

I'd also have to say Steve Albini's presence here is pretty important, because now it's almost like Chicago has kind of a "sound" now (to go with the "scene") and he's one of the pioneers of it in a way (at least his style has had a noticeable influence on it all). Scary thought. :D I'm sure I'd catch a lot of shit with some people for saying that.

there's a store where the GT Model 1B-FET is on sale for $199.-, including free shipping:

http://www.audiomidi.com/common/cfm/product.cfm?Product_ID=3217

Sounds like a good deal to me, waddayathink? It strikes me as odd, though, that GT doesn't give the frequencey range and/or frequency response curve. They don't mention either if any of their mics needs a dedicated power supply and whether its included in the package.

Not trying to advertise, but...

Giganova said:
does anyone know of a good GT dealer in the US? What are the street prices?

Hey Giganova-
When I shut down my music store last year, the GT line was one of the dealerships that I kept active, but I haven't ordered from them in quite a while, so I don't know if my account's still good or not. I'm going to check & see, but if you like, you can send me a pm & I'll give you a good deal on it, if you're interested (& if I can still get 'em...) Just let me know something,
thanks,
Groove.

Yea, I was looking for that, too, but no luck.

I am really tempted to pick one of these things up. That's a very good deal. The older MD1A's had a really cool sound to them. I even like the newer M-Audio GT mics.

Give us a full report if/when you wind up getting one. :D I'm really curious.

hey chessrock --

I am tempted to get one of these mics, too. After all: at that price we can't do anything wrong. What makes me sceptical is that GT doen't give any specs. Do they have anything to hide?? I wouldn't think so.

Alternatively, I think about getting an MXL V69ME. Its almost 100 buxx more, but I've heard great reviews in this forum. Then again, neither of the two mics has a roll-off/10dB pad.

Ahhh, its so though to decide.

My guess is they probably just haven't gotten around to publishing the specs, yet, since it's such a new product.

The v69 sounds like it would be good. And for only a hundred bucks more, you're getting a pretty decent tube mic. Might be a better deal, too, as I'm assuming the MD1b tube version will probably be at least a hundred or so more than the FET.

Back