Good Quality Microphone under £100

Halflife390

Hello

I have used many cheap mics in the past but am now looking for a permanent one that has good quality and is under £100. I record videos for youtube, podcasts and voice overs for videos. i will regularly use it and so I want it to be very good quality. I don't want a USB microphone as I often want to record up to 3 microphones all at once (When friends come over to make videos). I have a Creative ZX Sound Blaster Sound Card. Can anyone suggest any microphones for under £100 that are good quality and fit what I need?

Firstly I have used an XLR to 3.5mm jack for previous mics and that has worked fine but it was my understanding that you could get good quality mics that use 3.5mm jack instead of XLR. I already record 3 microphones at once, im not asking how to do that, the reason I included that was to justify why I didn't want a USB mic. Can I get a very good quality microphone for under £100? Probably not but what im asking is what is the best microphone I can get for under £100 and if it means getting an audio interface then that must be included in the budget. Are there not any good mics that are under £100 that don't need interfaces?

The SoundBlaster might work OK, but you'll be doing yourself a very big favor to factor an audio interface into your budget. Those XLR cables/connectors have integrated noise cancellation that will help avoid a few potential issues with ground loops, hum, interference, etc. A 3.5mm plug doesn't have the same feature. And even a budget audio interface will handle recording/playback with much lower latency than the SB card will. And the preamps on even the most modestly priced interface will exceed those of the SB in quality and signal-noise ratio. Well, there are some budget interfaces with some pretty noisy preamps *cough*Behringer*cough*. But in general, they'll smoke the SB in every way except 5.1 playback.

'very good quality' is rare in the £100 price range, lets be realistic here...you are going to get quality with an sm58 or sm57 but they aren't ideal for ambient micing which you may need for video work.

Back