Good Mid-Ranged Vocal Mic

Seafroggys

Its been a few months since I've been here....I built a new computer and lost all my bookmarks, so I haven't bothered coming. Anyway, I'm back with a gear question.

So I'm looking at finally getting a nice solid mic for vocals. My RODE NT2-a's are okay but I know I can do much better. I'm thinking of getting two mics; an SM7b and a nice mid-ranged ($500-1000) condenser mic to compliment.

At first I was heavily considering either the RODE K2 or the AT4060...both excellent reviews. However, when I looked more at the 4060, I was introduced to the AT4047. From my readings, its less versatile than the 4060, but since I'll primarily be using this for vocals that shouldn't be an issue, and it's cheaper.

Now I definitely go for the classic vibe in my recordings, and the 4047 seemed to offer up that vibe pretty well. So considering I'm also getting an SM7b, which one would be better? The K2, 4047, or 4060? Or maybe another option?

Also, I know people will probably say "try them and find out which one you like the best." But this isn't for me, really, I'm a crappy singer. This is for other singers that I will be recording. Hell, whenever I do sing I'll probably just use the SM7b.

Of the three having only the 4047, whatam' I gona say..? It's a dandy!
RE20
KSM32
Cascade Vinjet ('long ribbon, 'extended top') (Fathead but not much for voc
R121
CAD179
Of these the top three most offten.
(Still could/may go for a really nice LD multi pat though :D

Hmmm, I dunno. I've never been that trustworthy of "mod a cheap mic to make it sound pro". I mean, it may actually be true, but I dunno. I don't trust it enough to purchase over the Internet.

Not really any good deals for SM7b's on the bay at all.

Hmmm, I dunno. I've never been that trustworthy of "mod a cheap mic to make it sound pro". I mean, it may actually be true, but I dunno. I don't trust it enough to purchase over the Internet.

Not really any good deals for SM7b's on the bay at all.

...the CM-6 shares much of it's design and componentry with similar (and much more costly) mics like the Pelusos and those from Avantone and Advanced Audio (even the same factory sources for all these companies)...I currently own an original Rode Classic I, two Mojave MA-200s, Advanced Audio CM-47 and CM-12, and have previously owned the K2, 4060, NTK, sE z5600, ADK TC, and numerous other low and mid-priced tube mics...
...the CM-6 holds it's own with the best of them and excels beyond most...nothing touches this mic for the price...nothing...and my 2 SM7s haven't seen much action since I got this mic...shake off your preconceptions...go over to Gearslutz.com and search "CM-6" and read the reviews for yourself...

...or, do as i did...buy every damn decent tube condenser mic you've heard of, only to sell the majority of them in disappointment...;)

...some of the "keepers", below...

Attachments

• CM6.ClassicI.CM47.jpg
    CM6.ClassicI.CM47.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Kinda want to stay away from Neumann...I've read so many places that for the price other companies have better mics nowadays. Now, if I can get some U47's or U67's, that'd be a different story ;)

Turns out that AT mics are more expensive than I thought (they must have had a price hike somewhat recently). A used At4060 usually runs at the top end of my budget. So that'll probably be out.

I was leaning toward the AT4047, but I've read that its closer in characteristic to an SM7b than the K2 is, so it may be more beneficial to get a K2 so I have that difference in tone?

The SM7bs on ebay are freaking expensive, almost full price for a lot of them.

Wow so ebay prices are fucked up.

I was going to pick up an SM7b, but they kept selling for $300 (85% original price). I figured if you add the shipping, its totally not worth it, may as well buy it new from Guitar Center. But there was an auction for the AT4047, which ended up going for $350 (50% original price and price of brand new SM7b)....which I won :)

The demand for SM7b's must be very high at the moment. I was hoping to get that first due to its versatility, but alas this is a much much better bargain.

Back