Good mics for bluegrass guitar and mandolin...

drbluezz

...I have the following mics that I used for electric instruments before I converted to all bluegrass music...Shure KSM-44 LDC, Royer R-122 powered ribbon, Audio Technica AT-4041 SDC, Sennheiser e906 dynamic, Shure SM-57 and SM Beta 57A, and AKG D-5. Of these mics which would you use for recording acoustic guitar and mandolin? I'm thinking of ordering another AT-4041 SC so I'll have a stereo pair. Is there another mic I should invest in at $1000 or less or do I have what I need to make great acoustic instrument recordings? Thank you.

Tom

Last edited:
Have you tried any of your present mic locker on the instruments?
I don't own any of them so I'd be I'll advised to say which.
Rich

Have you tried any of your present mic locker on the instruments?
I don't own any of them so I'd be I'll advised to say which.
Rich

Not on my acoustic instruments yet. I've been away from recording for about 6-7 years so I've forgotten some of what I knew about mics and recording. I'm just starting to get back into home recording and was looking for some advice on mics for acoustic instrument recording that might save me time.

Tom

For acoustic instruments, a lot or folks prefer ribbon mics. Just sayin'. The Royer might be an avenue of opportunity. Natural sound. Is it the V (with the tube) or the straight 122?
Course, the KSM has the advantage of being either omni or cardioid...try a few of your mics on 20-30 second tests. See what you like.

I don't think you'd gain any mojo with mics other than what you have. It seems to me you could cover a lot of sonic territory with a ribbon to a decent condenser (and you got that covered). Experiment!

Yep, I'd start experimenting with the ribbon and the condensers, but I wouldn't write off any of those mics. I might try the 4041 on the neck of a guitar with the KSM or the Royer or even the 906 on the body.

Hey guys, thanks for all the responses so far. moresound, this is just for me laying down a track at a time in my home studio. There might be times when I'll be accompanying myself on guitar or mandolin while singing. But it will be mostly just one or two tracks at a time.

Since I started this thread I purchased another AT 4041 so I can run them as a stereo pair for another option. Although the KSM 44 is a top notch studio mic I'm always looking to improve my sound, so I would entertain any recommendations for a LDC that would be clearly a step above the KSM 44 for vocals and acoustic instruments. It's quite possible there is nothing that is "clearly a step above" the KSM 44. And that's OK. I'd just like to know if there is such a thing. I realize that we may be getting into the price range where there is possibly nothing that is a "clear step above"...but mics that just sound "different". Mike, it sounds like you think that might be the case?

Tom

Last edited:
Hey guys, thanks for all the responses so far. moresound, this is just for me laying down a track at a time in my home studio. There might be times when I'll be accompanying myself on guitar or mandolin while singing. But it will be mostly just one or two tracks at a time.

Since I started this thread I purchased another AT 4041 so I can run them as a stereo pair for another option. Although the KSM 44 is a top notch studio mic I'm always looking to improve my sound, so I would entertain any recommendations for a LDC that would be clearly a step above the KSM 44 for vocals and acoustic instruments. It's quite possible there is nothing that is "clearly a step above the KSM 44. And that's OK. I'd just like to know if there is such a thing. Mike, it sounds like you think that might be the case?

Tom

I sure don't know about steps up' above soemthing like the KSM's (I only have the 32 though in that line), but so much in the variations' are in the inst and player etc, to me that tends to dwarf mic differences. That gets you into 'better or just different'?
Had a real nice first time run with a new ATM450. The thing that sturck me was it is a bit forward in the top half, but the bit of low roll off it has made it 'easirer? to fit in the mix.

Last edited:
I sure don't know about steps up' above soemthing like the KSM's (I only have the 32 though in that line), but so much in the variations' are in the inst and player etc, to me that tends to dwarf mic differences. That gets you into 'better or just different'?
Had a real nice first time run with a new ATM450. The thing that sturck me was it is a bit forward in the top half, but the bit of low roll off it has made it 'easirer? to fit in the mix.

Mixit, I just finished editing my post and you pretty much nailed what I was asking...are higher priced mics "better" or just "different"? I'm guessing when you get to the $700+ range most of the mics from that price point on will just have different sonic personalities. Then the discussion just becomes about preferences and preferences regarding different recording scenarios. Heck, some of the best acoustic guitar recordings have been done with $300 mics (i.e. the AT 4041).

Tom

Back