Good Microphone for Handling Metal Vocals

cephalectomy

Ok, i posted this question in another forum, but was told it would be better suited in here so i'm posting it again, what i asked was...

"Hello, i'm not sure if anyone on here is into metal but i was wondering if anyone could give me a list of a few microphones that are reasonably priced (up to $300 U.S.) and handle growls and screams well, i want something with a lot of clarity but that won't explode when being screamed into. I was told Behringer sell good mics really cheap but again, i'm unsure of model types and what would exactly be best for vocals."

Any help would be greaty appriciated, thank you! :)

cephalectomy said:
"Hello, i'm not sure if anyone on here is into metal ....

I'm into metal! Really recording a metal vocalist is not that much different than recording a really dynamic R&B singer. You want something that can handle a pretty high SPL.

Depending on the kind of metal you are recording, you should not rule out something like a Shure SM58 hand held by the singer if you are doing really heavy stuff. If you have one I recomend trying it before you go out and spend $300 on a mic that may not be a much better choice for you.

You could probably get an SM-7 or (EV) RE-20 either on same or "gently used" for $300... Both are dynamic workhorses you'll reach for all the time.

ok thanks guys, we already have a sm-58 and that's what we used on our last cd, i like the results from that, i just thought i'd try and step it up a notch if it was worthwhile, i want as professional sounding stuff as i can get within my budget, so it never hurts to ask :)

I second the SM7, but I'd add that you should not use the windscreen. Take it off and use a Stedman pop filter. I never use the windscreen on mine ever.

Here's one of my songs where a Shure SM-7 was used to record my vocal tracks (and guitar cab)...it's sort of a screamer. No EQ...no effects on the main vocal tracks, but I did double track them (which I really wish I had not done now). Also the bassist is rapping a bit at the end (add a little reverb to that track)...that's the SM7 also. I also feel as though the mastering house we used gave it a bit too much high end. I still think the original CD-R sounds better...at least in regards to the vocals.

I was basically eating the mic....no pop-filter...just the foam windscreen. It was very user friendly for me. I love this mic.

Comes The Crush - SM-7 vocal track

when you say SM-7? This is the Shure Sm-57 right? or no? And assuming it is, isn't it designed for instruments as opposed to vocals?

Something like a Joe Meek 3Q (mic pre/compressor/EQ) and either a Beyer Soundstar MKII aka Model 400 or Shure SM57 with Shure's add-on foam pop screen would be excellent choices.

If you're using a cheap pre and/or mixer ala Mackie it'll thin out the Shure's-
let alone having enough "juice" (gain) to fuel a SM7 quietly.

Chris

cephalectomy said:
when you say SM-7? This is the Shure Sm-57 right? or no? And assuming it is, isn't it designed for instruments as opposed to vocals?

Two different mics. Similar flavor, but the sm-7 is a beast of a mic compared to a 57.

the type of metal i do is in the vein of bands like angelcorpse,suffocation,dying fetus....all go through an at 4033.
but not anymore now that i have a soundelux.

Back