Good Microphone for French Horn (Brass Instrument) Recording

YoniBE

Hi!
I'm looking for microphone for recording a brass instrument (French Horn) in my home. Something about 300$+-.
And btw, my house doesn't have a good acoustics if it may affect on the mic. ..
Someone know a good mic. for it?

thx. :)

A Horn is a very warm sounding instrument. You can use a ribbon, like a Fathead, but then it may be too warm sounding. Or maybe not? I tend to use ribbons on wind instruments, but those tend to have a bit of harshness in the higher registers that would just be accentuated by a condenser.

These questions are soooooooooooooooo difficult to answer for a mulitude of reasons. However based on the limited info presented, I personally would lean towards a ribbon as well. Something about the sound of a good ribbon that I really like.

A Horn is a very warm sounding instrument. You can use a ribbon, like a Fathead, but then it may be too warm sounding. Or maybe not? I tend to use ribbons on wind instruments, but those tend to have a bit of harshness in the higher registers that would just be accentuated by a condenser.

These questions are soooooooooooooooo difficult to answer for a mulitude of reasons. However based on the limited info presented, I personally would lean towards a ribbon as well. Something about the sound of a good ribbon that I really like.

Ok, thanks!
I found these mics:

Amazon.com: Cascade Microphones FAT HEAD II - Brown/Gold: Musical Instruments

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technic...417069838&sr=1-3&keywords=Audio+Technica+4050

Amazon.com: MXL R77 Classic Ribbon Studio Instrument Microphone: Musical Instruments

What do you suggest?

I was going to add, I love the sound of ribbon mics on brass, but I have found that it depends on what genre the music is ribbons sound very natural but sometimes if you want a hard hitting soul/rock sound condensers may be the go. Also don't forget the good old Sennheiser 421 dynamic. I also have had a great sound out of just using a SM58 on brass.

Again it comes down to the sound required for the end result.

Cheers
Alan.

I was going to add, I love the sound of ribbon mics on brass, but I have found that it depends on what genre the music is ribbons sound very natural but sometimes if you want a hard hitting soul/rock sound condensers may be the go. Also don't forget the good old Sennheiser 421 dynamic. I also have had a great sound out of just using a SM58 on brass.

Again it comes down to the sound required for the end result.

Cheers
Alan.

amm.. I play classical music, and sometimes music from movies..

Having been an orchestral trombonist and generally seated next to French Horn Sections, I know that the horn can be warm or dark sounding and it can also be quite bright in a French Horn kind of way.
Try an SM57 at different distances from the bell.
I am not an expert but I'd start at 2 feet out and centered then work your way in or out and see what sounds best to you.
BG

Hi!
I'm looking for microphone for recording a brass instrument (French Horn) in my home. Something about 300$+-.
I'm sure there's a truckload of mics that will work but what are you planning to do with that french horn? When you hear recordings of orchestras they're generally done in some kind of good acoustic environment - concert hall or big studio room. You're not likely to duplicate that sound in a living room. You might use some digital trickery like modeled reverb to approximate it.

Hi!

You do need the room as the French Horn is recorded by reflection, not directly.

Some duvets, conveniently placed, may help the room; but you do need the sound of teh French Horn to bounce around as much as possible.

I once recorded a French Horn in a school hall - I put the mic. about 2m from the horn and let it all bounce around. Although the school hall had a horrible acoustic, the French Horn sounded wonderful. :thumbs up:

Back