good mic for all drums?

Drummerdude1989

I'm using a fostex Mr-8 and so i can only record 2 tracks at once, so i was wondering if anyone could recomend a good 1 or two mics for recording the entire set. also, will i need a pre amp with these mics? thanks for any advice, im a total newb.

If you only have 2 tracks, you might use 2 small diaphragm condensers (maybe one in front of the kit, slightly above the kick, and one over your head).

There's only so much you can get done w/ 2 tracks.

I ve worked with the fostex and as far as i can remember it doesn't have phantom power, so if your going to use 2 condensors which is a good idea youll need something to give you that, such as a board...etc

when i used it i took my live board and just took DL 1/4" out in to the fostex ;)

You could look at the M-Audio Luna or Solaris. Massive Master said he uses two Solarises on drums, and the only other mic with his setup is usually a bass drum mic. :eek:

He put up a clip of what I believe was a jazz band that he recorded performing with just the two Solarises, and even with the drums at a distance, they still came out really awesome (big, powerful, and clear), along with the rest of the band. :eek: :eek: :eek:

it really depends on your room, drums and cymbals. you won't get a massively powerful (read: modernly punchy) drum sound with just two mics. you CAN get a perfectly usable sound, though.....but it'll be more towards a traditionally "jazz" style sound, if that makes any sense.

i'd skip using them as overheads. you'll get a lot of cymbals and snare, and a little kick. it might work for you, but it might not.

instead, i'd put a pair of mics (either small or large diaphragm condensers) about 6ft out in front of the set, either in X/Y or spaced pair. put em about head height or so, and aim them just slightly downward. this will get a representation of the kit as if you were standing in front of it.

as for what kind of mics? that depends on your budget, room, drums and cymbals. i won't deal with the higher-end mics, b/c they're out of budget for most of us here. for SDCs, some folks like the MXL 603s (i find them too bright in my room for use on drums) and some folks like the Oktava mc012s. i've not used the oktavas, but they tend to be "darker" with respect to the MXLs. as for LDCs (or MDCs), i've had good success with the MXL V67, SP B1 and the BLUE Dragonfly. they all have different sonic signatures and depending on what i want the drums to sound like, i'll use whichever is best suited at the time.

as for actual sonics, the drums, their tuning and the room will play a far larger factor than the mics used.

hope this helps some......
wade

The MR8 does not have phantom power for condensor mics, correct? You would need a phantom power box to run something like the Studio Projects B1 mic or any other condensor. The SM57 would be a fine kick mic, and also come in handy in other places as you expand down the road. If you don't plan on expanding down the road and just want to go for a kick / bass mic, the Shure Beta 52 or ATM25 would work among others.

War

you won't need phantom power for the 57. I think a 57 and sp b1 will get you some pretty usable drum tracks, and both mics will remain useful in the future. You will need phantom power for the b1, perhaps you should look at a small mixer like a small yamaha or a soundcraft notepad for your pres and phantom, it will also expand your future options.

Drummerdude1989 said:
I'm using a fostex Mr-8 and so i can only record 2 tracks at once, so i was wondering if anyone could recomend a good 1 or two mics for recording the entire set. also, will i need a pre amp with these mics? thanks for any advice, im a total newb.
Get a Sennheiser MD421... it's an awesome mic, and it's great for all drums, guitar and bass amps, vocals, sax, and etc. IMO, the Sennheiser MD421 is a "Must Have" type mic... and the MD421 will plug straight into your Fostex MR-8 (no phantom power needed).

Last edited:
The beatles used to be recorded with one overhead and one mic on the bass drum, so you could for instance use an AKG egg for the kick and an sm57 for an overhead and neither would require phantom power.

An interesting idea might be to use a dynamic omni for the overhead such as the beyer m55 and whatever you like on the bass, AKG egg/ATM25 etc. The omni pattern should pick up more drum sounds, but also more of the room sound which might not be so good if you don't like your room sound.

A more far out idea might be to use a mixer to mix down multiple mics to the 2 tracks in stereo. Of course this means you would have to mix the drums live and would be stuck with the descisions you made at the time, and it would be expensive.

Do you have any microphones already?

love

Freya

Drummerdude1989 said:
thanks everyone for the input. So basically im gana need something with phantom power for any of those mics? The sm57 too??

Generally, dynamic mics do not require phantom power and condenser mics do.

There is a funny blue ball made by blue microphones that is dynamic and does require phantom power however, but that's preety weird.

love

Freya

thanks for all the advice guys i really appreciate it. think ima ganna go with a 57 for now and when i have money pick up of other those sennheisers too. I have a cheap little dynamic microphone and i tried just using that for overhead, i get too much cymbal when i switch to ride, and the overall quality is pretty crappy, probably just cuz the mic sucks.

Last edited:
Back