Good clipon microphone for voice recording

Oddler

I'm looking for a good microphone that can record my voice in a very clear quality. Something I can clip to my shirt and hear minimal noise/static. Any recommendations for a low price, a mid-price and a high-price microphone?

What's your location? This makes all the differance.
Are you looking to record just voice for video? Vocals? Voice overs? Yoga classes?
Give us some more details please.
Is there a local store where you can audition this kind of mic?

As others have said, we need more details. There are some good clip on mics out there (they're a staple of the TV industry where I used to work) but which can be recommended depend on exactly what you want to do with them. Just as an example, most need a bias current (which can be provided by a radio mic pack) but if you want to plug it straight into something, that affects your choice.

Also, what are you using right now? Is the static you hear caused by the mic rubbing on fabric or is it an electronic noise?

I'm going to be using my mic for livestreams. I'm using some $20 logitech mic and it displays sound well...but I need to be super close to it so it can always pick up my voice. I don't want to have to worry during long livestreams whether i'm close or not hence the clipon mic which is always close. Livestreaming commentary audio mostly at home.

So you are using the stock sound card in your pc.
No interface? and no preamps? correct.

In that application, I wouldn't go the clip on route. Clip ons are (mainly) omni mics and, because of the distance from your mouth, tend to pick up a fair amount of room noise.

Instead, I'd consider a headset/over ear mic.

At the cheaper end of the market, MICROPHONE MADNESS have some very good mics around/just over the $100 mark. I'd go for a cardioid/directional one and choose either the single ear or dual ear mount depending on what you're comfortable with. Note that you'll also probably want their battery module to power the mic.

At the high end of the market, it's a toss up for me between DPA and COUNTRYMAN. Both make excellent mics and I've used both brands with excellent results, depending on the exact project. Note again that you'll need to consider what you're plugging into and will likely need some kind of battery pack/power supply. Sit down before looking at the DPA and Countryman price lists though!

There may be cheaper options out there but I don't have personal experience of any of them.

Back