GLS Audio ES-57 vs. Shure SM57 (on Guitar) Mic A/B Test - Video and WAV pics

GLS Audio ES-57 or Shure SM57 (on Guitar)?

• GLS Audio ES-57

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Shure SM57

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
You can say whatever you want. You don't need tenure. Just expect that someone will disagree and call you out. When that happens you have a few options: 1) You can flip out, fight back, and become just another joke in here. Lots of people go this route. 2) Keep calm, walk away, and carry on to live another day. 3) Wade through the bullshit and maybe learn from someone else's different perspective. Maybe even admit that you're wrong, if you are. That's the rarest of them all.

IMO one of the big problems with this place is there are a lot of opinions from a lot of people, but most of those people don't back up what they say. They just say the words. A lot of people post some really ass-backwards convoluted ways of doing the simplest things. Put your money where your mouth is. Or when they do try to back it up, it's inconsistent with their words. Or it's just fundamentally wrong. Like the guitar clip that started this thread. It's a nice attempt to showcase two different mics, but it was fudged right from the get-go by using different mic placements. I'm wondering if any thought at all went into the mic placements. It makes the whole thing moot. We learned nothing. Yeah they sound different. Well duh. I can't even give it an A for effort. Good idea, terrible execution.

Yeah its just annoying when someone asks for advice and at first they say "I'm using ___ and an sm57 on the snare" ... Then later they slip in "actually its not an sm57 its an sm57 clone" stuff like that.. Then guy pops in and says "I know so and such and they used blah blah and cheap gear is under rated" and i'm just like fine do it your way but don't complain later about it not working. I know we can't all afford the best of the best but don't try to convince me this 30 dollar dollar mic is as good as an sm57. Its silly really. Maybe you can change your entire car engine with a crescent wrench but that doesn't mean using the "right" tools is a waste of money. I'm just butt hurt I spent 100 dollars on 3 es57s when I was like 18 and I don't want anyone else to make the same mistake. Not win a pissing contest.

Back