Getting a really bad buzz from my akg c3000

Re-tox_stl

Hi guys. So a couple months ago, my uncle sold me his old akg c3000, and I absolutely love it to death. Un till today, when I plugged it in, it had a really bad hum/buzz/whatever you called it. I figured it was just a bad cable, but I tried it with all my cables in all of my inputs, and still the same thing. I took it apart to see if there was a lose wire or something, but it all looked fine. Is there anything I can do, or does anyone know of a good repair place? Or should I just cut my losses and forget it?

Drew

It sounds like a bad earth (shield) connection, have a look inside again and see if there is a good connection between pin 1 of the xlr and the mic earth point.

Alan.

Check other things too. Is the A/C cranked? The washer / dryer going? The dishwasher? The guy next door put up his christmas lights early and turned them on? Has it been extra humid in proximity of the mic? (vocals) Check another mic if you have it to rule out the rest of the signal chain.

All of my other mics are totally fine. Witzendoz, what exactly is the mic earth point. Would that be the little thing on the xlr connection that isn't one of the 3 pins?

Drew

Also It isn't any outside interference. I do have recessed lighting in my studio area, but I hung christmas lights and turn those on when Im recording.

Drew

So I just did another check after taking the mic apart to check it, and now the hum is gone. Maybe it was some sort of outside interference. Oh well, its fixed now and Im happy!!

Thanks guys!

Drew

All of my other mics are totally fine. Witzendoz, what exactly is the mic earth point. Would that be the little thing on the xlr connection that isn't one of the 3 pins?

Drew

The earth is the connection inside the mic that goes to pin 1 on the xlr. By taking it apart and putting it together again you may have caused this connection to touch again.

alan.

2 is hot, 3 is not, or something like that. Which would make 1 a ground I guess.

If it comes and goes, you might have jiggled something, or it was a humidity type issue. My vote goes towards something humidity wise in your case. But just a guess.

2 is hot, 3 is not, or something like that. Which would make 1 a ground I guess.

If it comes and goes, you might have jiggled something, or it was a humidity type issue. My vote goes towards something humidity wise in your case. But just a guess.

Yeah you got it right shadow. hot/not use to confuse me at first.

While pin 2 is USUALLY hot, not always. I've ran into gear where 3 is hot. Pin 1 is however always ground in my experience.

Back