General Preamp/Interface question

Another thing I came across: The Tascam 200.

Seems in the same price range as the MKII. What's the major differences between them?

In addition, I keep hearing about driver issues across the board. I'm a Win 7 64bit user. Is this still an issue today?

Well, it is a newer model that likely has the same preamps as the US800 I tested. I had no problem with the units I tested on W7-64. All I can guess is some people just have something funky in their OS install or setup error. It is hard to know the experience of the people who complain. Most are not issues at all, just improper setup.

Well, it is a newer model that likely has the same preamps as the US800 I tested. I had no problem with the units I tested on W7-64. All I can guess is some people just have something funky in their OS install or setup error. It is hard to know the experience of the people who complain. Most are not issues at all, just improper setup.

Ah. I'm curious as the MK2 and the 200 are almost identical in price, with the 200 being slightly more expensive. Both are dual channel, so I'm wondering which one is the better one at the moment. Finding direct comparisons online is a bit of a pain right now.

Ah, I'd just heard that Tascam drivers were kind of flaky, which is why a lot of people diverted to the M-Audio brand as supposedly their drivers were rock solid.

Well, like I said, the US200 is a newer model. Typically, better shit costs more. Be careful listening to what you hear, and who you hear it from man. There are way more people that have no issues whatsoever, than those that do. The problem is, you usually only hear the bitching on forums like these.

Product: US-200 | TASCAM

Yep, that product line agrees with you. Seems that the MKII is intended to be portable (which I don't require) so I'd be better off picking up the higher quality desktop model anyway. Just a pity it's hard to find a lot of decent user feedback compared with the MKII. The product page says the 200 has the same quality as the other models (800, etc) so I'd imagine you could rate it pretty accurately anyway. :)

Edit: Also noticed when looking for more info that the US 800 has a separate monitor volume knob, whereas the 200 doesn't. Doubt it's going to bother me, though. Would you consider it a must have? Also, do you know the dimensions of the 800? The sheer size of the 800 on my desk would be more of a bother, I think. How did you find the 800, anyway?

Finally, I did some more searching and why, at least in the US, does it seem like the US 800 is cheaper than the 600? That doesn't make much sense? I know you said about issues, but I heard a lot with the 800, and barely any for the lesser models?

Last edited:
And finally, (apologies for the triple post, but I don't think I was being clear enough in my question, hence the non replies)

I've come across two interfaces that seem rock solid and are pretty much the same price:

Roland Quad Capture
Native Instruments KA 6

I guess now it's a simple: Which one and why?

Hopefully some people here have experience with either or. :)

Back