frequency response

dolecek1

could someone please explain frequenzy response to me, like is 50hz - 150khz better or would be 5hz - 50 khz better? thanks

The range of human hearing is 20Hz (low) to 20kHz (high), although most humans can't even hear that full range of frequencies. You'd have to be a dog to hear anything higher than 20,000 Hertz!

dolecek1 said:
could someone please explain frequenzy response to me, like is 50hz - 150khz better or would be 5hz - 50 khz better? thanks
In that specific case there's no way to tell, because you haven't specified a tolerance for the level of deviation from the ideal flat-response curve.

Meaning - a unit having 5-50Khz that is flat within 1-2dB in that region, will likely be better than a unit having a 5-150Khz ± 10dB....

Also - you have to take specifications with a grain of salt because often, it's the marketing department that publishes them and not the engineering team!

dolecek1 said:
It depends on what you want the mic for. Like for example... if you're buying a mic for a specific instrument (like kick or vocals). Or another example... if you don't want the mic picking up a certain instrument in the room while recording something else, it might be better to use a mic that cuts or rolls off that freq (i.e. like when you don't want a drum bleeding onto a cymbal track, and etc).

im gonna be using the mic for vocals the reason i was asking is i have been looking at pre's and thats the range of frequences i saw.I want to understand the specs b4 i buy one.

dolecek1 said:
im gonna be using the mic for vocals the reason i was asking is i have been looking at pre's and thats the range of frequences i saw.I want to understand the specs b4 i buy one.
What "50Hz to 150kHz" and "5Hz to 50kHz" mic preamps are you looking at?

You can safely ignore any references to frequency response in any preamp you buy. If it's a good quality unit, the frequency response will be more than adequate for the job. If it's a low end unit, any claims about frequency response will likely be bullshit.

The frequency range of human hearing, as mentioned above, is considered to be 20Hz to 20,000 Hz at best (measured in young girls), and in most of us is considerably worse. Although there is controversy regarding the sonic effects on human hearing of frequencies outside this range, for practical purposes claims outside this range can be ignored.

As in all things audio, you need to listen to the gear to see if you like it - specs can't tell you much of the story.

Back