Free mics!

Nilbog

hello
I was just given 6 Astatic 827's. They are public speaking microphones, but I was wondering if there was any possible application in music. I found a specs page at: http://www.astatic.com/commercial/827_specs.htm
if you have a few, check it out, and tell me what you think. I was thinking maybe use them on drums...I spose I should try it.
-nilbog

I dont know if they have any recording application, but you could certianly sell them to get a recording mic!! just a thought.

ametth

Aha! Bait and switch topic! I thought you were giving away free mics.

Oh well. Experiment with them. I'm sure you can use them for something.

Since the frequency range is 80Hz to 18KHz, they're probably not well suited for reproducing a lot of bass. Maybe drum overheads could be a good application.
Also, one of these mics would be a good talkback if you have a studio room separate from the control room.
Try it on acoustic guitar. My guess is it might sound a little bright considering the peak at about 8Khz, but that could be a good thing too.
Not sure if they would work close-mic on drums or not ... doesn't look like there's a pad on these mics and the max SPL is 131dB. Maybe it would work. For drum overheads, they would probably sound pretty good I think. Never know until you try, I guess. You'd probably need to apply a little judicious EQ to compensate for the not-so-flat freq response of the mic, though.
You know this already, but they look pretty well suited for a PA system. ;)

Hixmix- That was my evil plan all along!

BigKahuna- Thanks for your help. That's exactly the response I needed. That's a big help.

ametth - I'll sell you one for $200. Just kidding, but I'll get back to you on that one.

Back