Found a couple of old microphones

Stinky

I came across a couple of microphones I haven't seen before (no surprise) and was wondering if anyone knew anything about them.

One is an EV 635A. The other is an AKG D190E.

They look like little vocal mics, like a shorter version of a Shure SM81. Anyone know anything about these vintage-looking mics?

Thanks-Stinky

OK, you've got a couple sleepers there, and sleepers are my favorites.
Everyone should have a couple 635a's...they are verrry underrated, IMHO. It's an omni, although, truth be known, they are not that "omni". Great on guitar amps, drum overheads, and even a vocal or two...

The D190E replaced the D19, which is the mic famous for being the Beatles snare mic (actually a couple feet above the snare in most Ringo pics). It is very useful anywhere you might stick an SM57...amps, snare, etc....

Sleeper mics rule! Actually that whole EV line are amazing mics..the RE15,16,18, and 55 are all very underrated mics, and can be picked up for not a lot of money...

Bruce Harvie
The "Mandolin Graffiti" liner notes are at:
http://www.bruceharvie.com

Cool!!!! I was hoping the brand names on the mics were indicative of at least decent quality.

They're at a pawn shop and the guy is asking $40 a piece for them. Maybe I can get a break on the pair. Does that sound like a decent deal?

Thanks so much for you history lesson!--Stinky

Additionally, the guy has a Unidyne III which I understand was the precursor to the 57. Is there any discernible/desirable difference?

Thanks Again-Stinky

I've got a mic that is labeled "Unidyne III" and SM57. So, I guess they're the same...

Queue

I have an original Unidyne and the major difference between the SM57 is that the cable for the Unidyne is soldered into the body of the mic. It did not have an easily replaced cable.

I believe that the Unidyne III actually uses a standard mic cable. Queue...could you confirm that?

Unidyne III actually uses a standard mic cable. Queue...could you confirm that?

Hell yeah.... here's 2000 words:

What izzit? SM57 or Uni III?
sm57uni3.JPG

I guess it is both, but fer shure (pun intended) it has an XLR connection:
uni3xlr.JPG

Queue

Yeah, that's an OK price on the mics...
The Unidyne is probably a 545, which, IMHO, is a *better* mic than the SM57 on snare...
Make sure if it's an old one that the cable comes with it...it could be one of those weird 4 pin connectors...

Bruce Harvie
The "Mandolin Graffiti" liner notes are at:
http://www.bruceharvie.com

Thanks again Tonewoods!

Gargamel--Well, it's a pawn shop somewhere in southern Illinois. I suppose if you think it's worth the trip, I could give you some more clues, but they probably have some smurf-arrific deals out where you're at too. Heh heh, little smurfy joke there, Gargamel.

Rock On--Stinky

Back