FMR RNP and Grace Design 101 info needed...

PersonalJesus

I'm picking up all the info I can on mic pres before I buy one. Id like to learn a little more about the middle of the road pres, particularily the RNP and the Grace 101. Im primarily interested in sound quality for vocals (I read the old thread with the plastic or metal arguement about the RNP and wouldnt want to start another of those).

I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on the two pres and links possibly to songs tracked with these pres. Also, Im considering trying out a SM-7B through which ever pre I buy. If anyone has information that you think would be important in considering which of these two pres to buy please participate.

Current set-up: AKG-C414 B-ULS -> M-Audio Firewire 410 -> Computer. Doing mostly pop and electronic music.

(Please, dont tell me to save up for a $1000+ pre because I already considered that too and just want some info on this stuff. Thank you!)

I prefer the RNP. In about a week I'll have some tracks to throw online again.
I think the RNP is a little past "middle of the road" and I've tried and had a bunch.

Another vote for RNP

I have tracked many many songs through the RNPs.
Here is my site
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1955&alid=-1

All the songs were tracked through the RNPs. There are some simple guitar / Vocals ( I Do) and some full band songs.

I have other pres and have even had a Great Rivers 2NV. I honestly prefer the RNPs over all the other pres I have had up to date for the bulk of my tracking. The others have been great for adding a special spin to a vocal or instrument.

I have to be honest and say I have not used the Grace, But I do have a DMP-3 which if the Burr Brown ops are anything alike to those in the Grace, it is a clean pre, but does not have the headroom for the ballistics of a live drum kit except for overheads.
The RNPs seem to have extended upper frequency detail that does not sound harsh. It matches up very , very well with dynamic mics such as the shure SM 57s and the EV RE20s I have.

That s my opinion, for whatever it is worth.

Tom

Is it just me, or does the RNP seem to have a thickening effect? Kind of like an old analog console vs. digital which has no thickening effect whatsoever. Well, whatever, it does have a sound, and I really dont call it a wire with gain type of preamp.

Check into the DRS if you want something that really smokes, but the RNP smokes in its own way. I have a DMP3 on the way I'm going to check out fully this weekend.

Paul

I've never used the RNP, a friend tells me I should check one out..But I have a pair of Grace 101's they are clean and unforgiveing to a fault sometimes..I've used 'em for overheads{depends on style} acoustic guitar{Very nice} and vocals{a little too clean and foward for my taste on vox} Sax/Flute{with 421 excellent}..ect. ..The DI is nice for keys and fair for bass guitar..Electric guitar with any balls I've had not much luck with them..They will make you work hard.Of course this is IMHO and YMMV:)

Don

Thanks for the ideas guys. I am leaning toward buying a RNP on ebay and also buying a RNC. That should only cost me $500-$600 for both. I can just practice making things sound as good as possible with those and one day Ill pick up a Phoenix DRS-1 and really have a good sound. I was going to buy the DRS-1, but I really shouldn't buy one until Im recording enough to justify the purchase.

Actually the RNP has a distinct color to me. Every recording I have heard that was done with it has that same color, but I think it will do well until I buy something rad like the DRS-1 and then I can use the RNP for 2 channel recordings. Much thanks!

I've used both the Grace 101 and FMR RNP and I think they are both worthwhile.

If you've got soldering skills, then definitely check out the Hamptone kit.

How important is it to use a compressor when recording vocals. I know "it depends" but on a fairly descent singer who can control his voice is it really critical or can you live without it?

OK, you live in Orange County. Go to Sam Ash either in Westminster or the one off the 91 between the 605 and the 5. Try out the Voicemaster Pro as long as you’re checking out the RNP, a little more money but also a very nice sound.

The RNP and the RNC are also a great recommendation.

Additionally, you might want to check out Mic Works in Costa Mesa. They have every mic and preamp known to man and will rent them cheap. I usually check in with them and rent the pieces I think I might want.

Regarding your question about compression, it's not always needed but a limiter or light compression at high ratio (effectively the same thing) is advisable.

Oh, Oz's reccomendation on the Hamptone will get you the best sound for the cash. One of the guys at Mic Works heard it next to the Great River ME-1NV and commented that he liked it slightly better. Seeing as the 1NV is $1095, if you can solder, its a worthwhile investment.

MM

I suck at soldering, but I did like the Idea of renting some pres and mics at Mic Works. I'm still torn between getting the Phoenix DRS-1 or saving a hell of a lot of money and getting something cheaper. The DRS-1 is gonna be $1070 shipped, so I wouldnt have anymore money to buy an RNC, but I think that I might be a worthwhile investment. I have heard some recordings done with the RNP now and cant really say that I am as impressed as I have been with samples done with the DRS. I know Im not going to be happy unless I get the best. So maybe buy the DRS and use it with my AKG 414 and it should be pretty damn pro. I wonder if they have the DRS at Mic Works. Ill call them tommorrow. Thanks Middleman.

Not sure on the DRS but you could check it out.

Anything in the $1000 range is going to give you transformers which steps things up a notch.

Thanks!
Just a simple "First time in the studio" thing for her. She was wanting to enter a vocal (UIL) competition at school and needed something fast.

Tom

I looked at the Hamptone kit. Very interesting concept, but at $600 certainly an investment.

As with all kits, it will have zero resale value, so one is well advised to understand this is a "keeper". Considering how much GAS I se floating around, a "keeper" might be difficult for some folks.

I'm a perpetual DIY'er, but am learning there is a benefit to "instant gratification." If the intent is to learn and build, that is one thing. However, if the intent is to record music, the bulding process will interfere with the goal of recording, and simply be a procrastination.

Tmix

Hey Tmix ...... Your stuff sounds really clean and transparent. If you don't mind could you list your studio set up...what kind of reverb do you use? Thanks!

PersonalJesus said:
The DRS is transformerless

If I'm not mistaken, I think the Phoenix DRS-1 has a transformerless input, but there is is transformer, I believe... on the output.

M-Audio Firewire 410 and E-mu 1212m Converters

I guess I should ask this here since no one is responding in the other thread I started:

I have an M-Audio Firewire 410. I am considering selling it and buying the E-mu 1212m for its "protools HD" converters. Has anyone had experience with both of these units? Is there going to be an audible difference between the 2 units? Both have all the features I need so the only issue is quality of A/D converters. Any ideas?

Back