Is a Flat Response Graph Mic ideal for vocals?

arcadeko

Illuminatius Overlordious
I have been using a MXL 2010 for recording vocals and I was looking into it and found this response graph on MXL 2010 | RecordingHacks.com

Anyway... I think the mic usually sounds pretty good - but I am wondering - for a vocal mic should I try to get something with a flat response graph? I have only recorded with this mic and some AKG's - the MXL seems to give a better bass response and a fuller sound all around.

I just wonder if a better mic would give me an obvious improvement in my vocal tone... :confused::confused:

0442.png

The other mics I have are an AKG D590S and an AKG D690 - which from what I can tell are pretty similar to SM57's - I use them for live recording then retrack with the MXL

Man I sound like such a noob - but when it comes to mics I guess I am :eek:

Not necessarily.....certain responses work better on different sources, making them sound more pleasant. You don't always want flat (in fact, I wouldn't ever want flat).

I hate to take graphs as always being real' or what ever, but that is some serious tilt!
Type in at4047' a nice plenty bright (generally) for vocals and a known ref point.
That MXL looked like 'md421 teritory but I guess not. :D

I hate to take graphs as always being real' or what ever, but that is some serious tilt!
Type in at4047' a nice plenty bright (generally) for vocals and a known ref point.
That MXL looked like 'md421 teritory but I guess not. :D

0442-0552

It's pretty close on a large portion of the graph - I can't hardly hear above 8 kHz anyway :eek:

Anyway... I think the mic usually sounds pretty good

If you're happy with it, why change?
If there are specific things you dislike, then you will have a better idea of what type of response graph you're looking for.
Most of those response graphs are smoothed out approximations.

It is a creative tool, not a scientific measuring instrument. Use whatever sounds the best on a given source. Flat frequency response doesn't automatically sound better.

A flat response can be more transparent. What you hear is what you get. Which doesn't always work well for vocals. The spoken word generally requires a bit of high end boost for word clarity. And in that regard a flat response mic can come off sounding kind of dark or dull on vocals. But it depends on the vocals. Get the opinion of the vocalist IMO. I've heard of people using something like a QTC50 on a vocalist, but the vocalists hated it, as it sounded too real. She wanted something more flattering, less her. You also want a bit of the brightness / high end bump to help bring out the vocal in a mix. Since it's probably the main melody, not some backing track.

Not that frequency response graphs are accurate. Depending on the mic. Some are drawn. Some are just print outs from the first mic in a batch of a thousand. So use your own judgement. In the end it's whatever sounds good to you. And hopefully the person / thing that you are recording agrees.

Drop a sound clip in here Arcadeko and let us here what that microphone is doing for you ..... then maybe there would be suggestions on a possible replacement.

Drop a sound clip in here Arcadeko and let us here what that microphone is doing for you ..... then maybe there would be suggestions on a possible replacement.

Well this has a lot of processing on the vocals so it might not be a good example

I can upload the source vocal track isolated if it would help.

Last edited:
Tell you what Arcadeko .....would you like to borrow a few different microphones to audition if that would help you make a decision?

Tell you what Arcadeko .....would you like to borrow a few different microphones to audition if that would help you make a decision?

thanks dude - that is a great offer - I will get together a small list of mics I am looking at and then maybe you can make some suggestions. The one that got me thinking about this was the Shure SM7 - and that is probably about my price limit - really $350 is probably pushing it - I mean if I can get a good mic for $250 then i am not going to spend money just to get a more expensive mic - I just want to get the best vocal sound I can - with my voice I need all the help I can get =o

PM me what you think.

- did listening to that track raise any red flags as far as the mic/vocals?

Just listening on a laptop at a show for right now and they just seemed lower in volume than the music. That's about the best I can tell from here.

I can send you a 7b and a re20 to audition if you want. Finding one of them used will be in your price range. ;)

Flat microphones aren't always the best. Audition some microphones, or if you can't like me, post some clips of yourself up. It's very helpful. For me, I cannot deal with spikes in sibilance frequencies (like most people, but it's worse for me), so it eliminates a lot of options. Some microphones accentuate frequencies that are flattering to some voices. That's it. If flat were the best, everyone would record with reference mics.

From what I heard earlier, if the guitar tracks were mic'd and not DI'd, I'd probably swap the mic you were using for vocals with the one you were using on the guitar. Otherwise kind of an odd mix given that the vocals were so backing track, not melody. (proportionally). Or I could be wrong.

From what I heard earlier, if the guitar tracks were mic'd and not DI'd, I'd probably swap the mic you were using for vocals with the one you were using on the guitar. Otherwise kind of an odd mix given that the vocals were so backing track, not melody. (proportionally). Or I could be wrong.

What do you mean backing track? Not melody? are you talking volume or where they sit in the mix?

Relative volume(s). Seems like the drums are softer than the vocals, and the guitar is way louder than the vocals. And when it gets busy and it's no longer just the three voices, you can't even make out the vocals (however short lived). IMO drums up in volume, guitar down in volume. As it sits now, it's kind of big wheel -ish, with the drums being that one back wheel that's not original equipment and a bit smaller than the other one. And the guitar the big front wheel that keeps you from seeing where you're going. Just my opinion.

to see some intense graphs, check blue microphone's website in the section for interchangeable capsules.

look at the responses of the b0 through b8 or whatever they're up to now.

the b6 is considered one of the greatest vocal microphone capsules of all time. the b0 is similar to an akg c12. the b7 (I think I'm remembering right) is similar to another famous mic. something liek that

but anyway, you'll see radically different frequency response charts there.

the one of your mxl 2010 is what I consider to be about the worst for vocals because it peaks at one point and that point isn't the best place imho. however on men it might sound ok... on women it would be bad I think.

vocal sibilance is often in the 8k area so it's cool to have a dip there, not a peak. air is 10k or higher so a peak up there is nice. presence is in the 4k to 6k area so a peak there is nice.

those are total generalities but they're starting spots for what I look for in a vocal mic.

Back