First vocal microphone

rfalcon

After reading threads here, reviews elsewhere, and having gained a minuscule amount of knowledge, I was pretty much looking at a Shure SM27 or a Rode NT1A. Went to Sam Ash store, right near the Guitar Center, and spoke to their microphone rep. He made several other suggestions, a knowledgeable rep, and I finally decided on the Rode ($229). He suggested it over the Shure for studio, and his other recommendations were in a higher price range. I might have liked the NT2 but decided I didn't need to pay the additional $170 mostly to get the selectable patterns.

They only had the display Mike, and couldn't find the box, so ordered one new and let me take the display model home to test. When the new one comes in, we'll swap. By then, I may have chosen to go to the NT2 after all.

Since I have the option of returning it or exchanging it, I am curious as to what others think of the choice.

image.jpeg

Positioned the Mike in the doorway between two rooms to play with it.

The guy on recordingrevolution.com always recommends that mic, and he's good at finding value plays, so I'd guess this mic is a good bang for the buck. But, I've never heard one. I think there are many mods for them that help with high end issues found in many low budget mics, so you can probably send it to a mod service for component upgrades at some point if you outgrow it or your ear becomes more discerning. The bottom line is you should use it a lot over the next few days and just decide how you like the sound.

BTW, if it's just a vocal mic, you're probably okay, but the selectable patterns would obviously make it more diverse and able to record other things and attain different sounds and ambiances. Realize if you like recording you will outgrow a lot of gear and should factor that into the early decisions. For example, when starting out, I bought a 1 input preamp and quickly outgrew that, seeing the need for at least 2 inputs (I'm at 4 now). Had I known then, I could have saved a lot of money (resale on budget recording equipment is low).

Last edited:
Thanks for the good thoughts. I got the feeling I'm going to call back tomorrow and order the NT2. I really enjoy experimenting. Been playing with the NT1, and I like it. Might as well have the other options handy, as well.

If you like the NT1A (as you say) and unless you have specific needs for a multipattern mic, I wouldn't spend the extra cash on the NT2.

Instead, put it into some basic acoustic treatment for your room--if you're recording in the space shown in your photo, that'll give more benefit to your recording...and frankly, patterns other than cardioid are going to show up any acoustic difficulties pretty quickly.

If later on you DO decide you want a multipattern mic, there are other's I'd consider before the NT2.

Bobbsy - which would you recommend?

And that's not the room I'll be recording in; just the room I was playing in because the basement was a mess - emphasis was lol. I'll post photos in the studio forum reference a possible build

If you want multi pattern I'd definitely look at the sE2200A II (not the "C" model which is the same mic capsule in cardioid only). It's a similar price to the NT2A but, to my ear, a smoother, more natural sound.

Or if you have a ton of money, the AKG C414 is a great mic--but sit down before checking the price.

I have two of these. They pick up high mids and highs with great clarity, they are extremely low noise and they're well-made. They aren't the warmest-sounding of mics but they're fine if you get up closer and use a pop-shield. I use mine mainly as drum overheads and as a dedicated vocal mic and I have been very pleased with the results. They have excellent bang-for-the buck, you can (potentially) make excellent quality recordings with them.

I have two of these. They pick up high mids and highs with great clarity, they are extremely low noise and they're well-made. They aren't the warmest-sounding of mics but they're fine if you get up closer and use a pop-shield. I use mine mainly as drum overheads and as a dedicated vocal mic and I have been very pleased with the results. They have excellent bang-for-the buck, you can (potentially) make excellent quality recordings with them.

I appreciate the response. I might be a little slow this morning lol, but which mike are you referring to with 'these' - the one I purchased or the other recommendations? I've only had two cups of coffee so far ... *grin*

Sorry, the NT1-A. :D

I've been using mine for about a year and have made quite a few recordings, most of which I'm very pleased with. These mics won't hold you back significantly. You'll make greater improvements in the early stages by learning how to record better than you will by spending a lot of money.

$2300 for a matched pair of AKG C414s, huh? lol If I really thought I was any good as a singer ... maybe. But I wouldnt have them long - my son would grab them up...

Thanks for the link Mark. I'm quite familiar with B&H Photo - much to my wife's displeasure lol.

Have to check out the difference between the two models

Back