A first look at the new Studio projects T3 Tube mic

Dot

The Studio Projects T3 Tube Mic arrived today for my review.

This mic is available here for $799.

The T3 comes in a locking case and included a clip shockmount, windscreen, mic and power supply. First of all I need to make a comment on the tube used for this mic. It is a 6072 "dual triode" vacuum tube, and it's the same tube used in the Telefunken ELAM 251. That mic has been the most sought after mic by producers and engineers for many years. The price on an ELAM 251 – if you can even find one – could run you up to $15,000.

Many of these new tube mics are inspired by the Neumann U47 and/or the Telefunken 251 – which also later evolved into the AKG C12. The 6072 is the same tube used in the original ELAM 251, AKG C12, AKG C12VR and the Lawson L47MP and L47C. Something to keep in mind w/ real vintage mics like the Neumann U47 – it's original VF14 tubeif you can find it – will set you back $1500. Some pretty pricey
company to keep. The 6072 tube has a life of about 5000 hours under normal use. Compare that to the tube in the AKG Solidtube – AKG doesn't identify it [ but it's not a 6072 ] – which lasts for 1000 hours. The street price on a SolidTube is $999 – and it only has a single cardioid pattern.

The T3 comes w/ a power supply which also houses the switches for the polar patterns – which are omni, cardioid and figure 8. The great thing is that there's not just 3 switches but 9 switches w/ variable pattern selection. These different selections also change the eq response in the mic. It gives a lot of different tonal options. For more info on this, look here on the Lawson site.

As I look at the power supply, it would be nice to have a cardioid-only switch, which would allow for a higher output level and would lower the noise floor.

I also don't see any db pad switches. A phase reverse switch would be nice, too.

Anyway, let's turn this puppy on. I select the cardioid position and run the T3 through an HHB Radius 40 w/ EQ off.

I record a track of vocals on the same song which I had recently recorded a vocal track w/ a C1. I wanted a comparison. C1 review has made it's way around on the net and has caused some stir on the various recording boards. I posted that in great enthusiasm at getting – to my surprise – a totally amazing mic [ w/ case and shockmount ] for $200 that I still think sounds as good as a Neumann U87. The C1 is still one of the best large condensers I've ever heard. But I never said that it compared w/ a tube mic. : ) For a quite lively and informative discussion and to learn more about mics made in China, check here in George Massenburg's forum.

After tracking w/ the T3, I listen back and A/B w/ the excellent sounding C1-recorded vocal track. The T3 has a very very smooth bass response – which greatly affects the "intimacy" of the vocal sound. There is also an "airy" quality present.

Where the C1 has a nice "sheen" common of the U87, the T3 has a rich natural and quite intimate sound. I had also previously boosted the C1 +2db at 1K and 12K to get what I considered an 87-like sound. With the T3, no eq was needed, either going on to the track or coming off the track.

The T3 has a very special quality that comes w/ the 6072 vacuum tube. It's "magical" and definitely enchanted.

Because of the creamy smooth bass response, I'm hoping the T3 will give me a mellower recording on trombone when I try it tomorrow. I'll also try some different pattern settings tomorrow as well as some acoustic guitar – which I expect to sound quite good on the omni setting.

While I have no conclusions yet, I am very impressed w/ what I have seen and heard so far from this mic.

If you think that only one year ago the cardioid-only Neumann TLM 103 was clearly a big winner in the large condensers for the project-studio market. Street price on a 103 is about $799. I use to recommend the 103. I don't anymore. The C1 is a superior sounding mic to the 103, IMO. Now, enter the T3. A real tube mic – w/ a hand-picked 6072 tube, no less – and variable selectable patterns ranging from omni, cardioid, figure 8 to everything in between for $799. Things are getting interesting.

I'll check back soon w/ more T3 findings.

Last edited:
Telefunken, the way to hear what I'm talking about is to read my posts and – if something gets your attention – go audition the mic. Mic manufacturers and people who review mics in zines and online don't post MP3 files for people to check out. Ocassionally, someone might post files of a mic shootout, but I'm not doing that, 'cause I'm not doing shootouts.

Take my posts for what they're worth, and nothing more. If I'm interested in a mic, an MP3 of someone else tells me very little, and I'm not on these forums to be an MP3.com artist.

Many people have bought SP mics based on my reviews, and so far I haven't heard one person who was anything less than amazed.

That's the best I can do, man.

Thanks for the "review"..but why all this?:

posted by Dot

The T3 comes in a locking case and included a clip shockmount, windscreen, mic and power supply. First of all I need to make a comment on the tube used for this mic. It is a 6072 "dual triode" vacuum tube, and it's the same tube used in the Telefunken ELAM 251. That mic has been the most sought after mic by producers and engineers for many years. The price on an ELAM 251 – if you can even find one – could run you up to $15,000.

Many of these new tube mics are inspired by the Neumann U47 and/or the Telefunken 251 – which also later evolved into the AKG C12. The 6072 is the same tube used in the original ELAM 251, AKG C12, AKG C12VR and the Lawson L47MP and L47C. Something to keep in mind w/ real vintage mics like the Neumann U47 – it's original VF14 tube – if you can find it – will set you back $1500. Some pretty pricey
company to keep.

Someone may take all this to mean that this mic is comparable in sound to these mics..when we both know it's not. Pretty 'safe' review otherwise. I'm sure Alan will sell a ton of these mics.

ametth, I simply wanted to give a bit of info on the history and development of some of these mics and some info on the tube. I never said the T3 sounds just like an ELAM 251.

OTOH, the T3 looks like it stacks up pretty well against some of the newer Lawsons, Soundelux's and AKG's, so yes, one could certainly say it is "comparable" to some of those mics. Why not? Those mics use Chinese-made capsules.

I'm not finished w/ my posting on the T3. I haven't made any final conclusions, but I'm certainly impressed so far.

Another mic which I'm really wanting to try out is the new Nady TCM 1050, which specs out very close to the T3, but sells for about $399 and is made by the same company, 797 Audio. It's the only tube mic under the price range of the T3 that specs out even close to it. I've made arrangements to audition a 1050 in a couple of weeks. Other than the 1050, so far I see no mic that comes close to the T3 specs that's selling for less than $2000. And many are much more. Here's a $4500 Soundelux ELUX 251 recognize the mic? : )

The only other tube mic that specs out near the T3 is the ADK Area 51TT, and it lists for $1595. I wouldn't buy an ADK mic based on the principle that they tried to pull the wool over everyone's eyes by claimimg to be a German company when the mics were really made by 797 Audio. Shame on them.

797 is making mics for Joe Meek, Behringer, BPM, ADK, Nady, Rode, Marshall and many other companies. I hope Alan sells a lot of mics, [ Alan is selling a lot of mics ] as he's been the first company to not only openly acknowledge that the mics are manufactured in China [ Studio Projects includes the 797 Audio name right on the mics ], but he's had the integrity to step out from behind the Oz-like facade and roll his sleeves up and get on these various recording BBS's and answer specific questions posted by other members.

Refresh my memory...

>OTOH, the T3 looks like it stacks up pretty well against some of the newer Lawsons, Soundelux's and AKG's, so yes, one could certainly say it is "comparable" to some of those mics. Why not? Those mics use Chinese-made capsules.<

Which AKG mics use Chinese capsules again? Is it the C12 or the C12VR? Are you comparing the C12 and the C12VR to the T3 sonically or from a manufacturing standpoint? Educate me Dot, your article and follow-up responses are confusing me.

Tom Cram
dbx Senior Technical Support
(801) 568-7530
tcram@dbxpro.com

Dot said:
ametth, I simply wanted to give a bit of info on the history and development of some of these mics and some info on the tube. I never said the T3 sounds just like an ELAM 251.

I know that, but its inevitable that someone is gonna come out and say: "but it has the same tube as an ELAM 251, it must sound as good". I would like to see a real review from you on this mic.

I believe these mics will be world class one day, but they're not quite there yet.

Errata...

>Compare that to the tube in the AKG Solidtube – AKG doesn't identify it [ but it's not a 6072 ] – which lasts for 1000 hours.<

Quote taken from AKG SolidTube spec sheet from AKG website;
"Everything about it is in fact modern, except the use of the ECC 83 (12AX7) vacuum tube."

Tom Cram
(801) 568-7530
tcram@dbxpro.com

The T3 has a very special quality that comes w/ the 6072 vacuum tube. It's "magical" and definitely enchanted.

Magical? Enchanted? I'm new here but this looks like spam to me.

Where the C1 has a nice "sheen" common of the U87

This really ruins this forum you do realize that? Are we comparing a chinese mic to a U87 again?

Because of the creamy smooth bass response, I'm hoping the T3 will give me a mellower recording on trombone when I try it tomorrow

At least when Alan was here he didn't use the term "Creamy smooth". I think I'm getting sick.

Hey Guys,

Lets try to keep this thread under control. DOT has offered some preliminary commentary about the T3, but it should not be taken as a comparison...even I know that. I am sure it was meant to give all of you an introductory tour of the mic.

The key issue is to report the facts as straight and accurately as possible, and for the record...AKG does not use Chinese capsules to the best of my knowledge, and Tom Cram can answer that one best.

I think DOT knows this Tom, but his facts were incorrect. This is why we need to have guys here to make sure the facts are straight, but we need to point out mistakes in a more gentile manner instead of going for the throat. Harvey taught me well...Thank you Harvey :D

To be fair, I am putting my head on the chopping block as Tom Cram is getting a T3 to evaluate. As you know, Tom works for DBX, who is owned by Harmon, who owns AKG, so I am sure you will get another review soon from a different perspective that will be accurate, fair, and like every one done to date, it will be Tom Crams opinions...good, or bad, just like DOT's.

So, let's keep our facts straight, understand the opinions are just that. Any comparisons made do not come from me, and if a reviewer makes them, they are his opinions, and you should take them as such.

If you have the need to jump on someone, email me and jump on me...after all, I have been jumped on so much lately, that I have become great at taking multiple beatings. :(

Anyway, let's keep this one nice, and ask for clarifications first before we jump...please. :D

Alan Hyatt
PMI Audio Group

Tom, thanks for the tube specs on the SolidTube. I hadn't seen it on their website. AKG was quite upfront in their general website literature that the C12VR used the 6072, but said nothing of the tube used in the SolidTube.

On AKG, I am quite sure I've seen info indicating they use Chinese manufactured capsules and parts in various mics. You may know better than I would. I'd appreciate any info you might have on the manufacturing of AKG capsules. I'm certainly up for being corrected if I post something erroneous, and I appreciate your astute eye.

My general point to ametth was that there are many mics costing thousands of dollars that use Chinese-made capsules and components in their mics. Manley is a perfect example. There's no reason to not expect that a company could make a "comparable" tube mic that can be bought for $799.

On the adjectives I choose to use in describing the T3, they're what I used. Sue me. Harsh, cold, nasally, brash, brassy, airy, rich, warm, creamy, accurate, true, real, breathy... The list is endless when using words to convey emotions that attempt to describe the characteristics of audio equipment and musical qualities.

Last edited:
Let's find out,

I'm very curious to find out if AKG uses any Chinese parts. I'll try to contact an engineer there today. Alan is right about Harman owning AKG, luckily they let the divisions stay independent (whew). I'm an AKG fan...Not an employee.

Alan's head is not on the chopping block as far as I'm concerned. I'm just anxious to see how these mics stack up. I've read so much crap on these mics I'm VERY ready to judge for myself. If they sound as good as all the shills say, I've got my money ready, and I'll join right in.

Tom Cram
(801) 568-7530
tcram@dbxpro.com

Progress.

800.00 bought squat in a large dia condensor 10 years ago.

Now. It is very possible.

I want to hear it as well. And I file the opinion of one DOT as being an influence on my descision. It obviously impressed them. I hope that you have used the expensive units to make a true comparison though Dot.

How about vocals??

What's your opinion?

You said it arrived for your review....What is your position? Check this out,.

Good Company

http://www.proaudioreview.com/par/winners.shtml

Last edited:

The NTK is the most interesting mic out there right now in the $400 range. Even the EQ forums seem to hold it in fair regards. And they are cruel to under-$2000 mics. I second the showdown :)
Paul

This is why I ask.

I wanted to try one of these NTK units that I have heard about so much.
I have used the NTV and was pleasantly surprised but not blown away.
I hear the NTK is way ahead. Now this T3 unit....

Back