First large diaphragn condenser micraphone

ex351d

I would like to put together a home recording studio. I wish to record bands that have a drummer, singer (male or female) bass guitar and electric guitar. Maybe also acoustic guitar. I have a Shure SM58 and just got a Shure SM57 as soon as I decided to start with this studio project. Also, I ordered an AKG D112. I had a bit of experience with dynamic mics, that is why I was able to decide what I want quickly. On the other hand, I have little experience with condenser mics. I think I should get a large diaphragm condenser next, for vocals and guitars. The 3 mics that I was particularly attracted to are the: Audio-Technica AT2020, Rode NT1-A and the Blue Microphones Bluebird.

I have a Radial Engineering PRO48 DI box that I was thinking I could use with bass guitar. At the moment I have an old USB interface that allows me to have 1 input either instrument (1/4 inch) or microphone (XLR) and it also has a midi in/out. I am looking to get a new interface but I'm not decided if I should go with usb or firewire.

I know that I will not be able to get a full drum kit recording yet. But I wish to get a large diaphragm condenser before purchasing e604/e904 for drums and a matched pair of stereo condensers. I would like to know which large diaphragm condenser mic suits me best, in your opinion, and I would also appreciate other suggestions. Thank you!

Any of those mics will do for starters, for cost/value the Rode is probably your best bet. Note: does your current interface have phantom power? If not, you're not going to be able to use a condensor mic with it.
Since you want to record drums at some point, you should be looking at getting an interface with as many mic preamps/inputs as you can afford. The Tascam US1800 is a great deal at around $250.00, but there are other choices. USB is the way to go these days, as Firewire seems to be on the way out.

Last edited:
Yes I my interface does have phantom power. I was looking exactly at that one first but now I'm more into Focusrite interfaces particularly scarlett 18i20 and saffire pro 40 as thay may have a slight edge on preamp quality. What I'm concerned about is that I read that the Rode is harsh beyond 3kHz. Also, from youtube it is notecable that the blue lacks a bit of bass. The AT does not have a shock mount and I'm aware that it may pick up footsteps. (already heard footsteps using the SM58).

Thanks mjbphotos for replying!

The 18i20 and pro 40 are two good multi-input AIs.

Differerent mics for different purposes/different instruments/different voices. The 2020 is a low end LDC. I use an AKG Perception 220 (a slight step up from the AT, IMO; which has now been replaced by the P220 model) for vocals and acoustic guitar.

Thanks a lot mjbphotos! what would you recomment firewire or usb? I use PC.

JG96 thank you for replying. I am not looking for second hand items as I can't find them locally and I'm not so happy to get them through the internet.

JG96 thank you for replying. I am not looking for second hand items as I can't find them locally and I'm not so happy to get them through the internet.

No worries. I didn't see you were in Europe. The Oktava mics may actually be more common over there since they are made in Russia. AKG's may be cheaper over there too. They are a german company but I think most of their cheaper mics come out of china.
I would also recommend a USB interface. Firewire is getting less and less common.

I own two of the 2020's and they are very nice for a $100 mic. However gotta agree with the used Oktava suggestion, many out there for the same price.

I am a fan of the NT1A.

Some people say it's harsh. I've not found that to be the case. It's a practical, versatile mike that can be put to many uses.

I find my NT1A too harsh as well. and sibilance shows up like crazy.. even off axis and 2-3 feet away...

Every now and again the NT1a causes me grief with sibilance. That's partly due to the mike, but is mainly due to the characteristics of the voice. Some people (especially those with false teeth) are serious whistlers.

When that is a problem I throw up an AKG414, which is a bit smoother around that area.

I am also interested in the sE electronics X1 and the AKG Perception 420 / P420. Shure KSM32 is a bit outside of my budget so is the AKG414.

Thank you for your help!

USB is the way to go these days said:
Ever heard of Thunderbolt? It will render all others obsolete. USB and Firewire are suffering a slow, painful death. Honestly. The salesman told me.

So the demise of Firewire ans USB is not imminent? I don't have to throw all I own into the trash bin?

So the demise of Firewire ans USB is not imminent? I don't have to throw all I own into the trash bin?

oh yes . . . their demise is imminent, as the salesman forecast.

Tell you what, I'll take it all of your hands if you like. No need for the trashbin.

Back