Finally!! Here's that NTK vocal sample....

Buck62

噛んでくれ
Lots of you guys have been asking what the NTK sounds like on vocals So, I had a friend sing a Creed cover (Are You Ready) to give you an idea of how it sounds.

The preamp I used is a MindPrint Envoice (my pride and joy ;) ) and Monster cables.

The music is from a karaoke disc, and I used minimal effects... (a bit of vocal-plate reverb)... so you guys can get an idea of how the mic sounds without alot of coloration.

I believe the compression ratio on the vocal was around :4 , since the vocal is quite dynamic, as you will hear.
This was also a quickie mix, so bear that in mind too.

I put the vocal a bit over the music on this version.... again, so you can hear the true sound of the mic.

Here's the link....

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/alternative/bucksjams/

Comments?

Last edited:
Buck.
That is fine sounding. His voices sounded really clear and crisp.
I just glanced at my 57, no way.
For a quicky mix, ya did a good job.

Very nice mix. I loved the proffesional space and your ability to retain such clarity in a dense mix. You guys did a good job.

THe vocal even has the characteristics of creeds vocals. A nice helping of high end, not as much body as many other rock vocals ,and the same kind of space.

From charger's samples and this one, I can see that the ntk is a contender.

Thanks for posting.

Thanx for the nice comments guys, and I really hope this helps you, CJ ..... or anybody else considering the purchase of the NTK for that matter.

I can't even begin to tell you how awesome the NTK sounds at 24 bit/96kHz coming straight out of my DPS16 through Event 20/20's.

If you guys think it sounds good right now, you should hear it before dithering and conversion to an MP3.... sweeeet! :)

Buck

Hey Buck62,
You are using a DPS16 ! How do you like it ? Is there an audible difference betweeen 44.1 and 96 K ?
And did you compare to the VS1880 or VS2480 ?

How easy is the editing ? (accurate cut & pastes)

The DPS16 forum seems really dead compared to the VS Planet, so even though I monitor the DEEPS forum, I can never get answers to more detailed questions.

Thanks
Rick

Axis...

I love my DPS16!

Compared to the Roland machines, it's much easier to work with. You can easily have a handle on all the functions of the Akai right out of the box. By contrast, the Roland VS units are complex and frustrating.

The editing functions are excellent! They're basically the same functions as the ones you get on a program like Pro Tools.

Is there a big difference in sound quality from 44.1 to 96 kHz?

Hell Yeah!.... It's like going from a Kia to a Cadillac! ;)

I highly recommend the DPS16.... very highly.

Buck

"Like going from Kia to Cadillac" seems like a huge claim compared to what most audiophiles are saying. Most seem to be claiming that there is barely IF ANY. So can you elaborate a little on the difference ?

Are you sure you are comparing 44.1 to 96 and not also 16 to 24 bit ?

The only reason I am questioning is because I already have a 1680, but with the prices of DPS16s right now, I would consider an upgrade if the sound quality is truly superior.

One More question: do you get a waveform display that allows you to zoom into a zero crossing when doing cuts & pastes ?

Thanks,
Rick

Yes... you get waveform with zoom capabilities....

....and yes, I assumed you also meant going from 16 bit/44.1 to 24 bit/96kHz.

I was having a "blonde" moment there :D

Buck

The only complicated part of the DPS16 for me was using external effects with it. The owners manual doesn't go into it and I found it frustrating to learn how to do make it work. Not everyone is impressed with the onboard effects, but I like them and there are some excellent ones in there if you take the time to tweak them.

At $1500 with a standard 20 GB hard drive, it's a pretty attractive deal. Some retailers are even throwing in a free CD burner.

Back