Favourite alternative use for Rode NT1

Meshuggah

OK.. Many of us have a Rode NT-1. We have used it for vocals, and found out it does a pretty shitty job in that department. We get another (better) mic for the job and stuff away the NT1.. I just thought that since so many ppl have an NT1, someone has got to have found out situations when it sounds really good.

So, the question is: Have you found any use for your NT1 except vocals? (No Kelly.. Pouring beer into it does not count).

I musta got a good one in a batch, because my NT-1 has worked just fine. I use it on vox and acoustic guitars. That is, I did use it, until I bought the Røde NTK Tube mic. That mic is in a whole other ballpark than the NT-1.

I still use the NT1, it seems ok for what I do. I compared it side by side to a NT1000 and preferred the NT1.

I use it as a second kick drum mic sometimes, and I like it on acoustic.

At one time, the NT-1 was the darling of this forum. A real price/preformance breakthrough. There are a lot more options these days, but I still have one - still use it - have no plans to replace it anytime soon. I still think it's a contender among "bottom feeders" especially if you have some outboard gear to "warm it up."
My (stubborn) 2 cents.

I agree with Jim.....the NT1 isnt a bad mic at all...it was the shit not long ago....its not the mic Id recommend today for its price, but that doesnt mean didley...if it was the shit last year, how can it be just plain shit today?....

.. I didn't ask if people still use it for vocals, or if they think it has deserved all the bashing around here. I asked for alternative uses....

I dunno then, what do you have that needs a mic? :D I mean, even though I have expanded my mic shelf somewhat, I still have uses for it. I've used it on kick, to mic electric guitar cabinets, on my Hammond, on aux percussion... pretty much all purpose. I don't use it on my acoustic anymore or as a room mic though (sounds too brittle as a drum overhead.)

Ive heard it used on vocals, kick drum, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, drum overheads, and I think S8-N may even have used it to mike a fart.......like I said, not the best mic in its price range now, but still a decent mic.....it desnt sound bad......

speaking of "sound bad" I know how to say that in the Swedish language.....Yngwie Malmsteen.....

note to self....cancel vocal recording appointment at SN-8's studio next week...or at least take a big-ass can o/Lysol for the mic.

I have used the NT1 for vocals and also found it not too flattering. Have people a/b'd it with the C1 for vocals? I also remember the NT1 and AKG C3000 being the darlings of this forum in the not too distant past.

Question for all those who have since expanded their mic cabs:
What do you use for vocals now and how does it compare with the NT1?

p.s. What do people use to mic farts? Though the NT1 may do an adequate job I think that an MD 421 would be the mic of choice in this area.

Last edited:
Don't you mean poop filter? :D

Still use NT1 for pretty much anything that needs a condensor ('cause I don't have any others - hoping my dad can pick me up some mxl603s while he's in the US)
Steve

Gidge said:

speaking of "sound bad" I know how to say that in the Swedish language.....Yngwie Malmsteen.....

Gidge, I'm impressed! Here are some synonyms for you to learn: Roxette, Ace of Base, Europe.

:D

Cheers
/Henrik

aw cmon Henrik,

Roxette had 1 good song in their career....and dont tell anybody this, but I really liked Europe.....

Wasn't Europe that Lief Garrett look-a-like that did Final Countdown?

I use an NT1 as an announcment mic for visitors at the front door:

"Hellooow, Mr. Rick. This Jim Wong from across street. Did you find my newspaper in your house this morning? My daughter not in there is she? Ok, goodbye."

"Rick, mom said I could come over to do my laundry and have something to eat. How come the door's locked? ...Are you in there? .....Asshole!"

"Hello, UPS. I have a package from 8th street. ......hello? ...Can you see me through this microphone?"
"Oh hi. Uh, just sign on number 12. Cool mic"

:D

Back