Fat Heads?

tvolhein

Tom Volhein
Anyone have experience with Cascade Fat Head ribbon mics? I am thinking of getting a pair for use on singer/songwriter set up.

Thanks,

Tom

I'm curious about this as well... I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about them but I have no experience with them. Have had them on my short list of additions though!

"singer/songwriter set up"? As in.. vocal and..?
I haven't done vocals that I recall (a few with the Vinjet..) They'd likely be pretty warm (at anything near at least). As in expect to do some eq.. but again depends on context..?

They are decent mics, but being figure 8, you need to have a good sounding room. They do need a decent amount of gain.

They sound natural. Use at.least 1 popper stopper with vocals.

My fatheads are Open Plan Recording Fatheads, but they are very similar to Cascade's, I love them on Guitar cabs. I have used then on acoustic guitars but they have a darker sound than a condenser so they take some getting used to, but when you use them on an acoustic that is recorded along with the vocal, the fathead rejects the vocal from the guitar track well. + 1 on having a good sounding room.

Alan.

I don't know what your budget is but if you can afford the beyerdynamic m130's, they would be worth the extra cost in the long run, I prefer them to the fatheads.

I am a big fan of the fat heads. Very smooth and natural. Not a lot of extreme highs or lows.

Back