Famous Singers' Mics?

bhefner88

Does anyone know what microphones these singers use? Please specify recording or live.

Robert Plant:

Anthony Kiedis:

Jack White:

Chris Martin:

Does anyone know what microphones these singers use? Please specify recording or live.

Robert Plant:

Anthony Kiedis:

Jack White:

Chris Martin:

Unless you have access to the studio's recording notes, you'll never know what they recorded through. They used great studio mics for recording (pick one) and probably dynamics for live (again pick one). Even google won't help you here....

Different vocalists have different sounds that can be emphasized by different mics. Obviously there are thousands of other elements, but that's an important one.

Just for the record ..... in case I get any more famous and people start asking this question about me. :rolleyes:
I use a variety of modified microphones but it's always a toss up on factory stock microphones between the AKG414 and the Shure SM7b.

Just for the record ..... in case I get any more famous and people start asking this question about me. :rolleyes:
I use a variety of modified microphones but it's always a toss up on factory stock microphones between the AKG414 and the Shure SM7b.

*scribbles down notes*

my bad i meant about this thread in general.

Yeah I don't get it either
I know some artists, Like sinatra, have/had a specific vocal chain but most will sing through whatever is put up in front of them.

There are the oft quoted well MJ recorded Thriller with an SM7, or Bono once recorded a couple of tracks with a 58, or Tom petty sometimes uses an SM57.
What is not mentioned is the fact on the remaining 60 odd albums between them they did not record with those mics

Generally the best advice is a good vocal mic will mostly work for almost any vocals in most situations. Try a few out and see which you like for your voice and stop worrying about what someone recording different songs, through a different chain, in a professional room with their own unique voice may have used on a particular song

Phil Collins used an SM7B. End of story. I guess that means an SM7B will sound awesome on my voice and every other I use it on for any type of music, even though my voice sounds nothing like his and my music is nothing like his :)

But wait, John Lennon was said to use an SM57...hmm now I'm confused...two famous people I love who used different mics. Maybe I'll just have to try them and see what happens...nah that's too much work I'll just use both.

(use of emoticon to avoid "rookie mistake")

Frank Sinatra used a Neumann U47. At one point apparently he refused to sing into anything else. Just a shame it costs $6000, but I guess Sinatra gets what he wants.

Generally the best advice is a good vocal mic will mostly work for almost any vocals in most situations. Try a few out and see which you like for your voice and stop worrying about what someone recording different songs, through a different chain, in a professional room with their own unique voice may have used on a particular song

"Best In Thread" vote here! +1 What he said.....

Ya know, no matter which mic Famous Amos sings thru, you will always be able to tell it's Famous Amos. Sure the mics have their own colors, some more or less than others, but it's the voice that we like. Robert Plant could sing thru a Neumann or a Snotman or a Highbrowman or a Perfumybuttman or a lowly 57 or an Apex ribbon and Led Zeppelin would still rule the classic rock kingdom on earth.

No substitute for buy and sell until you find a few that you like the sound of for the purposes you need them. I started with a 57/58, a cheap ribbon, and a cheap condensor, just to learn the differences. Then I realized I wanted better. Then I realized I could not afford nor justify the money for a better ribbon, so I got better dynamics and condensors instead. Now I use SM7b, Heil PR30, Sennheiser E906, AT4033, C414. Nothing dazzling, but noticeably better than what I started with, and close enough to good that I get mix-and-burn results.

Back