Experts on guitar miking, review my question...

frank_1

Hey all, I am asking whether I should mic my guitar cab with a Small or Large diaphram condensor when I throw the condensor 6 feet away from the cab. I am considering the Marshall 603 or the Marshall V67. I am looking to spend about $50-60 through Ebay.

Any help or suggestions will be great. Thanks.

I've been getting good results with a 57 on the grill and a AT4033 back about 6 feet. There's only one small diaphram mic I've liked as the distant mic and that's an AKG C-1000 (nice mid range). It seems to my ear that the small diaphram mics "woof out". Almost all the large diaphram mics I tried sounded decent over the small ones. YMMV.
:D

As I say... "it depends!" There really is no one type of mic suitable for all purposes - you really need a variety of mics at your disposal to handle a variety of tracking situations.

I've used an AT4041 with great success on certain tracks - especially when a more funk sound was needed. The small-dia captures the percussive attack very well... it doesn't do as well for distorted guitar parts (too bright)......

The SM57 works (duh!), but I also like a Beyer M160 ribbon.........

Bruce

The sound of your room is going to have as much of an effect on distant micing as mic selection. You might want to experiment with putting two mics up close and blending the sound. Also close micing will give you a little more control as far as using signal processing is concerned. But to answer your question, I'd probably go with the V-67. It'll give you a good room sound and you'll have a great vocal mic at your disposal, too.

Back