EV RE320 A new Monster

moresound

Loud Sun Studios
Here is a small write up from prosoundweb.

Electro-Voice has announced the global launch of the RE320 at Winter NAMM 2011, the latest addition to the Electro-Voice RE Performance Group of wired microphones.

The RE320 culls key features of the venerable RE20 and RE27N/D Broadcast Group products into an exceptionally versatile studio and live performance mic.

Engineered for performance in virtually any imaginable application, the RE320 delivers excellent results when mic’ing vocals or instruments in the studio or on stage.

The RE320’s key features include Electro-Voice’s Variable-D proximity control technology; their humbucking coil for noiseless operation; and a high-output neodymium magnet structure capsule that delivers fast and accurate transient response and pronounced high-frequency detail.

Rounding out the feature set is the new “dual personality” switch which essentially creates two mics in one. One setting of the switch engages a response curve that is ideal for voice and most instrument micing, while the other switch position activates a response curve designed specifically for kick drums with dips and peaks exactly where kick drums need some attention.

“We’ve known for many years that the RE20 is sought-after for mic’ing kick drums, despite its broadcast vocal ‘original purpose,’ said Electro-Voice’s Rick Belt comments.

“Adding the kick drum curve switch position as a key RE320 feature reinforces its usefulness as a specialty instrument mic, in addition to its outstanding performance on voice and low-mid to upper-register instruments in the alternate switch position.”

The RE320 will be available with an estimated street price of $299.00 USD.

At $300. I just might get two of these!

This was not in the first post .....

* Voice/instrumet mode - creates a nominally flat frequency response from 150–3kHz, with a presence peak just under +5dB from 5–6kHz.
* Kick Drum mode - cuts the low-mids with a -4dB filter centered at 300Hz; raises the HF presence peak to +8dB at 4kHz.

Again like Blue microphones an other fancy name in marketing for a low cut/high pass switch.
Wish I had that job of renaming the switch I think I could come up with some clever names.

This was not in the first post .....

* Voice/instrumet mode - creates a nominally flat frequency response from 150–3kHz, with a presence peak just under +5dB from 5–6kHz.
* Kick Drum mode - cuts the low-mids with a -4dB filter centered at 300Hz; raises the HF presence peak to +8dB at 4kHz.

Again like Blue microphones an other fancy name in marketing for a low cut/high pass switch.
Wish I had that job of renaming the switch I think I could come up with some clever names.

It's not a low cut it gives it a scoop in the low-mid area. similar to say a e902 or a d6.

I respect the heck out of EV, but do they really think a one-size-fits-all kick drum filter will be better than what a good sound person chooses based on what he hears? This "feature" adds cost and potential points of failure, clearly a liability from my perspective. Let them lose the kick drum stuff and lower the price a bit if they want a chance of selling one to me.

Boulder - you're right about the extra "feature" - but not everyone has a sound person, let alone a good one. Heck, a lot of folks don't even have a sound board with an EQ that can do what the EV kick drum setting appears to do.

In this case, EV hit the mark and made a killer mic right out the box, no tweaks required. As a sound guy, that buys me time.

I'm interested- As well though I sort of at times wished for the qualities of an 'RE20 but with the option to have some proximity effect. This would be an interesting mic IMO.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I just had to say....

MINE IS GOING TO BE DELIVERED TODAY!!!

Ahhhhh can't wait. :)

Funny, I tried the RE320 out at the last NAMM show, and wanted to really like it but thought it was too crispy on the top end of my voice (high baritone/low tenor).

Anyway...

Tried it again today over at GC and it's just plain wrong for my voice. Like the Beyer M88, the high end response isn't a fit out of the box. Especially these neodymium designs like on the 320 -oh well.

Also tried out the Shure SM27 which was pretty nice in comparison, but the Sennheiser MK4 stomped both of them-sounded quite expensive! Fuller mid's/softer top. Didn't think of this myself, but "TLM 101" sounds about right.

Chris

What cha going to do first ... vocals?

Hmmm I don't know! I didn't really buy it while thinking about vocals, but I suppose it couldn't hurt!

Funny, I tried the RE320 out at the last NAMM show, and wanted to really like it but thought it was too crispy on the top end of my voice (high baritone/low tenor).

Anyway...

Tried it again today over at GC and it's just plain wrong for my voice. Like the Beyer M88, the high end response isn't a fit out of the box. Especially these neodymium designs like on the 320 -oh well.

Also tried out the Shure SM27 which was pretty nice in comparison, but the Sennheiser MK4 stomped both of them-sounded quite expensive! Fuller mid's/softer top. Didn't think of this myself, but "TLM 101" sounds about right.

Chris

Yeah, the re320 really meshes well with my voice! I was testing it out last night. Glad you found what you were looking for though ;)

Back