Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: EV RE320 A new Monster

moresound is offline Loud Sun Studios
    New Hampshire Lat/Lng: 42.8129750,-72.0248270
    Thanks

Cool EV RE320 A new Monster

Sign in to disable this ad
    Here is a small write up from prosoundweb.

Electro-Voice has announced the global launch of the RE320 at Winter NAMM 2011, the latest addition to the Electro-Voice RE Performance Group of wired microphones.

The RE320 culls key features of the venerable RE20 and RE27N/D Broadcast Group products into an exceptionally versatile studio and live performance mic.

Engineered for performance in virtually any imaginable application, the RE320 delivers excellent results when mic’ing vocals or instruments in the studio or on stage.

The RE320’s key features include Electro-Voice’s Variable-D proximity control technology; their humbucking coil for noiseless operation; and a high-output neodymium magnet structure capsule that delivers fast and accurate transient response and pronounced high-frequency detail.

Rounding out the feature set is the new “dual personality” switch which essentially creates two mics in one. One setting of the switch engages a response curve that is ideal for voice and most instrument micing, while the other switch position activates a response curve designed specifically for kick drums with dips and peaks exactly where kick drums need some attention.

“We’ve known for many years that the RE20 is sought-after for mic’ing kick drums, despite its broadcast vocal ‘original purpose,’ said Electro-Voice’s Rick Belt comments.

“Adding the kick drum curve switch position as a key RE320 feature reinforces its usefulness as a specialty instrument mic, in addition to its outstanding performance on voice and low-mid to upper-register instruments in the alternate switch position.”

The RE320 will be available with an estimated street price of $299.00 USD.

At $300. I just might get two of these!
    ♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

☼ Mucho Loco Henry Areebah! ☼

Any mic you buy will be perfectly suited to your needs, until you use it long enough to learn that it's not.

Thanks
    This was not in the first post .....

* Voice/instrumet mode - creates a nominally flat frequency response from 150–3kHz, with a presence peak just under +5dB from 5–6kHz.
    * Kick Drum mode - cuts the low-mids with a -4dB filter centered at 300Hz; raises the HF presence peak to +8dB at 4kHz.

Again like Blue microphones an other fancy name in marketing for a low cut/high pass switch.
    Wish I had that job of renaming the switch I think I could come up with some clever names.
    ♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

Any mic you buy will be perfectly suited to your needs, until you use it long enough to learn that it's not.

sockswithshoes is offline Senior Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moresound View Post
    This was not in the first post .....

* Voice/instrumet mode - creates a nominally flat frequency response from 150–3kHz, with a presence peak just under +5dB from 5–6kHz.
    * Kick Drum mode - cuts the low-mids with a -4dB filter centered at 300Hz; raises the HF presence peak to +8dB at 4kHz.

Again like Blue microphones an other fancy name in marketing for a low cut/high pass switch.
    Wish I had that job of renaming the switch I think I could come up with some clever names.
    It's not a low cut it gives it a scoop in the low-mid area. similar to say a e902 or a d6.

bouldersoundguy is offline Modulator
    Thanks
    I respect the heck out of EV, but do they really think a one-size-fits-all kick drum filter will be better than what a good sound person chooses based on what he hears? This "feature" adds cost and potential points of failure, clearly a liability from my perspective. Let them lose the kick drum stuff and lower the price a bit if they want a chance of selling one to me.

cj122 is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Boulder - you're right about the extra "feature" - but not everyone has a sound person, let alone a good one. Heck, a lot of folks don't even have a sound board with an EQ that can do what the EV kick drum setting appears to do.

In this case, EV hit the mark and made a killer mic right out the box, no tweaks required. As a sound guy, that buys me time.

mixsit is offline Been Here, Posted That
    Thanks
    I'm interested- As well though I sort of at times wished for the qualities of an 'RE20 but with the option to have some proximity effect. This would be an interesting mic IMO.
    Placebo stomps 96k !

Altyman is offline Newbie
    Thanks
    So, has anyone given it a try yet? I'm thinking of getting it as my first all-around mic...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Altyman View Post
    So, has anyone given it a try yet? I'm thinking of getting it as my first all-around mic...

No but I'm sure you wouldn't be at all disappointed.

guitaristic is offline Saaaaaaandy
    Thanks
    Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I just had to say....

MINE IS GOING TO BE DELIVERED TODAY!!!

Ahhhhh can't wait.
    Cubase 6.5, mehh laptop, tascam 1641, ga pre-73, sputnik/mk4/re320, KRK rp6g2

Thanks
    Great news Jon! Let me know what you think for it should be an unbelievable experience.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information