Is the EV RE-20 still alive?

lockesilver

Hi,

I was thinking of replacing my Rode NT1-A for voiceovers with a dynamic mic (I have had some small but annoying issues with background noise which cannot be solved by room treatment).

From what I hear one of the most well known (budget) microphones for this kind of recordings has been the Electrovoice RE-20 for a long time. But, on the other hand, it has been on the market for decades now. So... Is it still as good in its price range or should look for something more up to date?

I would hardly call it a budget mic (isn't it about $500?), but it is still fantastic. Flip on any TV broadcast of a radio program and you'll see at least one. If you want something more budget-friendly, the RE-320 is almost exactly the same mic, but cheaper. I have one and it sounds fantastic. My main mic for vocals right now, actually.

It's the same mic Frasier Crane uses...I've been watching on netflix and noticed he's got a few in his studio...therefore it must be good.

Wheres Henry when you need him?

Blessed are the cheese makers.

That's referring to dairy products in general. :D

Yes the EV RE20 is still in production.
You can find them used all day long on ebay for half price. The 320 is a good investment as well but I doubt that you'll find any used though.

So go for a used 20 and you'll never look back ..... unless you want to pick up a used Shure SMb. ;)

The RE20 is a great mic for voiceovers. One of the cool things about it is the "Variable D" feature that minimizes proximity effect.

Dynamic mics aren't technically any more resistant to noise than condensers but you can often get closer to them and take advantage of inverse-square law.

Take a listen to the Shure SM-7. (current version is the SM-7B I think.) Great for voice overs and I have a couple of vocalists who like it better than anything else they've tried.

Yeah the SM-7B is also great. That and the EV RE-20 are very similar. I've heard people say they would prefer the Shure because they can use it for a wider range of things, but I don't go along with that. They're both great.

Thank you for your answers, I feel reassured now :).

I would hardly call it a budget mic (isn't it about $500?)

Depends on how you look at it. It's by no means cheap for me but compared to all the Neumanns I've been dreaming to get one day it's kind of budget...

Just be happy with a dynamic microphone such as the ones mentioned here. Neumanns are nice but with like any microphone they all have their strong and WEAK applications.
You hear about it all of the time ... that someone will purchase a $2100.+ microphone thinking it will be a cure all for all of their capturing needs only to find that it sounds great on an acoustic guitar but going on to track a vocal --- and it just won't work on the vocals. etc.

I would be sure to test run any microphone that would cost big dollars to be sure that it is going to be at least *good* at capturing multiple sources.

I've tried both RE20 and SM7B and like em a lot. I have the SM7B but I'd be happy with any of them.

Back