Electrovoice RE-20 with no bass responce?

I really do feel it's the preamp the more I play with it and not the microphone.

You feel that what is?
The lack of bass, the hiss that turned up out of the blue a few posts back, or the distortion and pixelation that only just made an appearance in the last post?

Seriously. Gather your thoughts. Ask one question. Read the answers.

You won't figure anything out running around in circles moving goal posts and guessing.

You feel that what is?
The lack of bass, the hiss that turned up out of the blue a few posts back, or the distortion and pixelation that only just made an appearance in the last post?

Seriously. Gather your thoughts. Ask one question. Read the answers.

You won't figure anything out running around in circles moving goal posts and guessing.

Yes the signal is distorted and cold, what I've said from the very beginning. So far I have recieved a host of different responses from different memebers.

That your dynamic mic won't sound good paired with my pre, that your room acoustics are to blame, that you have to work on your radio voice, and that the foam needs to be replaced and am responding to every one.

From what I have tried over the past year, I really believe my software is having compatibility issues with the Scarlett. It's been that way ever since I've used it, not blaming the RE-20.

Last edited:
Ok? Sorry, not meaning to sound difficult but the problem, and proposed solution, are jumping around quite a lot. :p
You said from the very beginning that it lacked bass. I don't think that's the case.

In post 20 you said
"The reviews I read on Scarlett Pres being notorious for driver distortion rings true with me.
It sounds like I'm running it through a dial up connection, very pixelated at times and so much latency."

Hearing yourself back, with latency, while you speak can sound all kinds of weird. Maybe you're just having a real-time monitoring issue?
This wouldn't affect the actual recording, which would make sense because your recording sounds great.

Let's take the latency;
1: Do you need to hear your voice through headphones whilst recording? If not, mute the software track while you record. No latency. :)
2: If you do, do you need to hear it with real time processing on there? If not, use direct monitoring. (switch on the front of the interface).
3: If you think you do need to hear yourself, and you do need to hear real-time live processing, look through Final Cut's device settings, or focusrite's control panel (if there is one)
for a setting called latency, buffer size, or audio sample size.

If it's set to something like 512, 1024, or higher, turn it down to maybe 128 or 256 and see how that goes.

FYI I, and probably most people, would go for option 2 for voice.
Option 3 if I'm recording something where a touch of reverb/delay might benefit the performance.

Ok? Sorry, not meaning to sound difficult but the problem, and proposed solution, are jumping around quite a lot. :p
You said from the very beginning that it lacked bass. I don't think that's the case.

In post 20 you said
"The reviews I read on Scarlett Pres being notorious for driver distortion rings true with me.
It sounds like I'm running it through a dial up connection, very pixelated at times and so much latency."

Hearing yourself back, with latency, while you speak can sound all kinds of weird. Maybe you're just having a real-time monitoring issue?

FYI I, and probably most people, would go for option 2 for voice.
Option 3 if I'm recording something where a touch of reverb/delay might benefit the performance.

Right now I currently do not monitor, it's more when listening back to what was recorded in post process. I have about 40 mins of audio recorded with the RE20, there are constant points where it's a very harsh/cold sound like a clipping throughout. This happened on my other mic too, but I do not have the levels set to a point where they should be clipping. I am going to test using other pres I have at my disposal and post back here, it's hard to describe and show over internet what is happening.

Well, if that's the case, terminology isn't being our friend here.
Latency used to describe a delay between thing a and thing b.

In our context thing a is your real voice as you speak and thing b is the "real time" reproduction that you hear.
If you're not monitoring live, you're not suffering latency.

If there's a known issue with the interface and/or it's drivers then fair enough; No one's going to argue with that,
but the initial question and demo clip don't point to that.

Do you have a clip that demonstrates the problems you're describing?

Another pre amp is not going to fix anything. People have THE most peculiar ideas about them as if they are something highly complex, even magical!
The fact is a microphone pre amp is very, very simple piece of electronics. We have been making valve pres for over 80 years and transistor version for over 60. The ACTUAL 'bits that do the bizz' in a budget AI cost about $5 and even in the most prestigious device well under $100 if you discount very high grade transformers.
So, preamps: WELL understood, practically foolproof mature electronics.End of.

The 2i2 is probably THE most common AI in the world of HR at the moment and has been for some time. GAKWhy! I am not a fan, poor value for money IMHO (no MIDI the cheapskates) and headroom is not er, Generous shall we say? But! I have been lurking and posting here for a long time and been about the same nuisance at SoS.com. IF there had been a 'generic' driver problem with the 2i2 I would have read about it or, someone else would have mentioned it.

There can be a problem with ANY digital device and a MOBO, OS, DAW or just the setup of the PC. Trawl Google and you WILL find something!
Now, super fan of F'rite I may not be but I have seen several comments about their technical service being excellent (use to have a tame bod at HR?)
What has the company to say about the problem?

Dave.

Shakedown, does this video below have the bass you are expecting? To my ears it isn't too much different that the sample you posted

EV RE20 into a Focusrite 2i2 >>>>

YouTube

Back