electrovoice pl-10

They are cool little mics that look like a mini RE20 or PL20...

Useful on amps, toms, but do not do the job that it's big cousin does on say, a kick or bass amp...

Somewhat rare...you don't see them around that much....

Anything with the EV tag on it is useful in some way, IMO...

Bruce
http://www.bruceharvie.com

Bruce,
How does the PL 10 sound for vocals? Good,I'd hazard to guess.
While I've got you here,I'd to thank you and Harvey for all the archived posts on Electrovoice and other dynamic mics that can be found pretty cheap and record really well.
I'm a newbie,at least to home recording in the digital realm,and am looking for old-fashioned sounds for roots music.
You wrote in an old post that the RE-18 was a favorite male vocal mic in Nashville in the 60's.I snared one on Ebay for $50,and it has a very smooth character that made me start singing Jim Reeves songs. ;)
Also picked up an RE 11 and 635a,both of which sound great close-mic'ed on acoustic guitar.Especially useful for singing and picking at the same time,recording to 2 tracks.There's some bleed,but nothing like with a condenser mic on the guitar.
Of course,you have to like the sound,which I do.I'm not looking for a very hi-fi detailed guitar sound on the stuff I'm currently recording. Someone described these mics on acoustic as sounding like "early 70's Rolling Stones acoustic guitar",and I'd say that's fair.It's also what acoustic guitars sounded like on records in the 60's...or at least a budget approximation of such.
I've made up a reference disk of songs from CD's where it's just voice and guitar,and I still haven't heard anything better soundwise,to my taste,than "Blowin' In The Wind" by Bob Dylan.

Back