Electro voice RE20 vs. Shure SM7B for recording guitar?

gene12586

For recording electric guitar (I play ambient, some distortion, lots of reverb, delay, etc.), which would work better and why, the Electro voice RE20 or the Shure SM7B?

As a followup question, which would be better for recording vocals?

It's hard to say which would be better.

The main differences in my opinion are that the sm7b tends to sound fuller and boomier while the re20 can sound a bit more present.

Don't get me wrong, the re20 has plenty of bass, but I think it's tamed a bit compared to the sm7b, probably due to proxy effect.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, but I'm afraid they're so tight that the only real way to know is to try them out if you can.

David Carradine had a fairly well thought out argument for the differences between Superman and Spiderman in Kill Bill Vol. 2.

Well...? - YouTube

So...what? you gona' make us look it up?

:)

I wish i had a sm7 so i could join in. :( I got two RE20's (that's just about right most of the time :D
Bass, kick, aboslutely 'live in the studio voc (and/or not 'live in the studio voc. Best I've heard yet for 'get up on and not sound like ass. (But then the sm7 has a nice filter and cage that keeps you back off the cap too.. Likie on acoustic inst too-- no proximity, (check out the off axsis curve! Both really cool bits of the kit.
Honestly though haven't tought of (read tried) it as 'guitar cab. It has a bit of presence bump up quite a bit above your sm57 for example.
It'd be interesting to hear if that response sort of makes for fizzy' on crunch guitar.. maybe off to the cone edge slips it right in..

Last edited:
Back