Electro Voice RE20 for kick drum?!?!

Rhythmsavant

A buddy of mine who works at a radio station got them to loan us an EV RE20, were mostly using it for vocals but i read somewhere that it can be used to mic a kick drum...any one have any experience with that? This things great for vocals so im intrigued by using it for the bass drum but i dont want to damage it since they run $700 new if you can find one...

Rhythmsavant said:
A buddy of mine who works at a radio station got them to loan us an EV RE20, were mostly using it for vocals but i read somewhere that it can be used to mic a kick drum...any one have any experience with that? This things great for vocals so im intrigued by using it for the bass drum but i dont want to damage it since they run $700 new if you can find one...
You're not going to damage it. I don't like it on kick, but you're not going to damage it. Give it a shot.

a producer came into my studio and used an re20 for kick on his sessions and it seemed to have a punchy sound on that particular drum he was micing. sounded good but i don't think i'd grab that first for micing kicks either. the best i've used was the old akg d12. man i'd love to have that one back again.

One of the thing I don't like about my EV RE20 on kick is that sometimes it seems to pick up the other drums a little too much for my taste buds. But you won't hurt it, so give it a try.

Just so you know. . . you can get an RE20 for about $400 these days. Of course that is still a good bit though.

Beez

It's only one of the most popular kick drum mics like ever. Probably a thousand or so hit records over the years have used it.

Very cool.
thanks for the info, right now were in the take whatever we can get stage, so were going to get as much use out of the mic as possible until i can afford my own set of mics...till then we will experiment...
thanks again guys...
i wish i could hug you all...but im not gonna (long live layne staley)

yep

just got a 441 in the mail today from germany.

thank you lutz vogelsung!

hugged it right away. even non-recordists in the law office think it looks swell.

Back