ELECTRO-VOICE EV RE10 & 635A Dynamic Omnidirectional

Bart7167

Could someone in the know fill me in on these two microphones? I came across several and selling them. Id like to know more about them from an expert. Thanks in advance.

I believe the RE10, RE15 and RE16 are similar mics. The RE16 is still in production. They are nice smooth midrangy mics that are forgiving off axis with minimal proximity effect. The off axis forgiveness is what they are designed for. The 635A omni, also still in production, used to be seen a lot as an interview and TV production mic. In fact, I used to see all these mics along with the RE20 a lot on TV in the 70s and 80s on Country Music Nashville based TV, such as Hee Haw and Pop Goes the Country. They are great old mics, but every time I see one for sale of late, they seem overpriced. Sam Ash and Guitar Center in Nashville have put prices upward of $200 on used RE16s and 15s. Seems excessive to me, but I'm no expert. I do own two RE15s, two RE16s, and two 635s...all old and well worn. I love them for banjo, harmonica, mandolin, or anything too bright that needs to be smoothed out a little.

They're great mics, and the reason they have shot up in price is that people online pinpointed them as bargains (rightfully so). I couldn't afford an RE-16, so I had to buy an RE-11, which is the same mic that didn't fall within RE-16 tolerances. By all accounts they are the same, with maybe the RE-11 being slightly darker (good thing, imo). Agree with the above post they are a bit mid-rangy. Your mic, the RE-10 is basically an RE-15 that didn't meet specs. It's a very similar mic and great. They can be used for all the same applications of something like an SM57. Depending on condition and market, I think you can get $65 at the low end around $115 at the high end for the RE-10. I'm not as familiar with the 635a but I believe they were mostly used for tv broadcast/reporting in the 70s. I could be wrong and I never owned one so I can't speak to those.

I'd possibly be interested in both depending on your asking price and condition (have you tested their frequency ranges to see if they match specs, etc?)

This is it...
The old EV mics get so much love and, at a time, were very cheap so the price creeps up.

I snagged loads of them a number of years ago.
Four 635a in various states of repair, 1 re11, 1 re20 and the best bit (because they were effectively free) four completely mint DO54 (pl9?).

They're all very usable microphones..Can't really say more than what's been said other than to state the obvious about omni mics.
If your room sucks, they aren't going to help!

If your room sucks, they aren't going to help!

Mostly true, but I would say if you "cup" the mic like a harmonic player and sing vocals into it...it can produce some really interesting sounds and make an "unusable" mic suddenly very usable.

If a mic has limitations yet is good, the question should be how to null those limitations imo and turn it into an ace mic. E.g. I have a Shure 533SA that sounds like "The Strokes" if you cup it. Amazing for certain vocal effects if you do it right and think outside the box.

Screw that man. I'm sticking the DO54s on ebay for £1000 and putting a few flower pots in the pictures.
Some idiot will bite. ;)

lol. Depends how many you sell!

Actually, I wonder how much stuff he does sell. He always has shit tonnes of stuff listed, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's going anywhere.

The EV635A was the workhorse of the news industry as far back as the late 1960s or early 70s. It's an omni pattern dynamic with relatively good sensitivity for a dynamic. It's frequency response is pretty flat with only a very subtle rise in the upper mids.

It's big reputation though is for extreme toughness--it can take almost any abuse you can throw at.

Besides news, a lot of smaller TV stations would use them for almost everything--desk mic for interviews, music mic for when some singer with a guitar shows up for said interview show, just about everything.

As an example of this, here's a 40 year old recording of an Irish folk singer named Liam Clancy who did a show in Red Deer Alberta and appeared on the local afternoon interview show and, in typical style for the day, was asked "well you play us out with...". As a youngster fresh out of school this seemed a big deal to me on sound so I kept a copy...apologies for the quality--it's been through reel to reel, cassette then wave then MP3. However, you can tell the 635A mics I used...because they were all we had...weren't bad. https://app.box.com/s/llg3igcmqyq39zy42w4thevq31mnce1a

Edited to add: no, that's not reverb you hear. Our afternoon show was done in the reception of the TV station with no acoustic treatment and lots of bricks and glass. Just occasionally it worked out.

It's frequency response is pretty flat with only a very subtle rise in the upper mids.
Well, flat but a bit restricted. It is very midrange focused, which is part of what made it such a great, forgiving mic for handheld interview work. It can also be a good thing in a lot of recording situations, too.

One of my favorite "singer songwriter" sessions was literally just a dude with his guitar signing in front of my 635a from about 3 feet away. I sat in on acoustic bass for a couple songs too. It took a little bit of EQ and a little smooshing, but it really turned out amazing with just the right hint of a vintage kind of feel. In fact, this is one of my favorite mics for acoustic guitars in a lot of situations, partly because it kind of almost makes it sound like an electric, shaves down a lot of that zingy, clacky, stringy thing that I hate.

It's also a great "heart" or "crotch" mic for a drum kit. Smash the fuck out of it and bring it up under whatever else you've got happening.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid mine got drunk a while back and it hasn't been the same since. :(

The RE15/10 is the poor man's RE20 for kick drum. If you are weary of that high end click and mid scoop, and long for that 70's thunk, all those RE mics have the variable-D capsule design which makes that sound without fail. Put a LDC out front, now you have a great defined kick with a little air from the condenser. You are welcome....

Thanks everyone for the information. The 635s are selling fast at $70. The RE10 I have only sold 1. By reading this it looks like I have them priced a little high at $125. They are on EBAY if your interested.

I own both a 635 and a RE10. Both are great mics, lots of folks have wanted to buy a RE10 after using mine. Both are quality dynamics that I enjoy on vocals, drums, and guitar amps.

Back