ELECTRO-VOICE EV RE10 & 635A Dynamic Omnidirectional

I know they're omnis, but being dynamic, are they really that sensitive to room acoustics? To me, that would be one of the major advantages to having a dynamic omni, as opposed to a condensor omni. And I would think that in an outdoor news situation, you'd want a more of a cardioid pattern, or really even hypercardioid. You'd want pretty severe rejection of surrounding noises.

There's that old misunderstanding about dynamic vs condenser. They will both pick up the same ambient noise, but you can usually get the dynamic closer to the source so that it is louder compared to the room noise.

I can see where omni could be good for just handing to or pointing at somebody without a lot of microphone experience, and being dynamic, you'd have a bit more headroom for suddenly loud things. The midrange focus of the 635 helps to reject handling noise, and the high and low end of environmental noise in favor of the more relavant vocal freqs.

There's that old misunderstanding about dynamic vs condenser. They will both pick up the same ambient noise, but you can usually get the dynamic closer to the source so that it is louder compared to the room noise.

Hmm, didn't think about that. Good point.

Back